How to File for Divorce If Your Husband Is in Jail

By Cindy Hill

Incarceration can create a serious strain on any relationship or family. A woman whose husband is in jail may well wish to divorce so that she can move on with her life and possibly remarry. Many states have specific laws making it easier for a woman to divorce a husband who is in jail.

Step 1

Speak with the clerk at the family court for your jurisdiction and ask whether there is a specific form for filing for divorce from an incarcerated spouse. Obtain either the incarcerated-spouse divorce filing forms or the standard no-fault divorce filing forms.

Step 2

Request a copy of your husband's mittimus -- the document formally committing him to the jail -- from the criminal court in which he was convicted. Complete the divorce filing paperwork and attach a copy of the mittimus to the filing.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Step 3

Submit the divorce filing to the family court along with the necessary filing fee. Inquire of the clerk whether you need to serve the paperwork on your husband or whether the court does that in cases of incarcerated spouses. If you must serve the paperwork, either hire the local sheriff's office to do so or mail it by certified mail.

Step 4

Research your state laws regarding legal grounds for divorce if your husband declines to sign the no-fault divorce filing. Seek help from the family court clerks, a qualified family law attorney or your local legal aid office if you cannot locate these laws. Most states include criminal conviction and incarceration as automatic legal grounds for an at-fault divorce.

Step 5

Obtain and complete your family court's at-fault divorce filing forms, attaching a copy of the state statute regarding divorcing incarcerated spouses and a copy of your husband's mittimus. File these along with any additional necessary filing fee and have the paperwork served according to your local family court procedures. At least one hearing will be held after this filing, but it is unlikely that your husband will be transported from jail to attend the hearing.

Step 6

Secure a copy of the final divorce decree from the family court. Advise the court of any change in address to ensure that you get a copy of the final order. If personal safety is a concern, have the final order mailed to your attorney's office or the local legal aid office.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to Get Divorced From an Estranged Husband


Related articles

How to Divorce a Mentally Unstable Spouse in Florida

A mentally unstable spouse can significantly affect a marriage, and the couple may eventually decide to divorce. Filing for divorce from a mentally unstable and unpredictable person may create additional legal issues as well as safety concerns. If a volatile husband or wife threatens the spouse's safety, domestic violence laws may offer some protection. The spouse filing for divorce should understand the protections provided by Florida state laws regarding domestic violence, stalking, child custody and financial issues.

How to Change a Female's Last Name in New York

New York law allows any resident of the state to change her name for any reason other than to defraud people. Women can make a name change official by using the New York marriage license application, in situations where the change is part of the marriage process, or by filing a name change petition with a civil court in a New York district.

Guide to Divorce for Men in New Hampshire

If you are seeking a divorce from your wife in New Hampshire, you must satisfy a number of legal requirements before a court will dissolve your marriage. To avoid any time-consuming and costly delays, it’s wise to familiarize yourself with some of the New Hampshire divorce laws before filing your petition.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How to File for Divorce From Jail

You can file for divorce from prison, but meeting the filing and appearance requirements is more difficult. You usually ...

My Husband Has Filed for Divorce & Refuses to Talk to Me So What Should I Do?

Divorce is a common legal action, but the frequency with which it occurs does not diminish its stressfulness. Receiving ...

How to Get Divorced in California if Your Husband Is in Jail

Provided you have been a California resident for at least six months, you have the right to divorce your husband – ...

How to Get a Divorce If You Are an Inmate in a State Prison in Georgia

Divorce is the legal recognition that your marriage has ended. If you or your spouse is an inmate in a state prison in ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED