How to File for Divorce From Jail

By Anna Assad

You can file for divorce from prison, but meeting the filing and appearance requirements is more difficult. You usually must start the divorce proceedings in the court that handles divorce cases in your spouse's county of residence. Talk to your spouse before filing, if possible. If you both agree to the divorce and its terms -- referred to as an uncontested divorce -- divorcing while you're in prison becomes much easier.

Step 1

Ask for a visit to the prison library. Prison libraries typically have the forms needed and free help available for inmates who want to file for divorce. Ask the librarian for the forms and the help the prison offers. Ask for a filing fee waiver or indigent affidavit form.

Step 2

Complete the main divorce forms. Forms vary by county but commonly include a petition, a summons to the other spouse and a court information sheet. You usually need your spouse's name and current residence, as well as the names and ages of any children you have together. Fill in all the information but don't sign.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Step 3

Complete the waiver or affidavit. A fee waiver or indigent affidavit is used by persons who don't have the money for the divorce filing fee. Courts commonly consider incarceration as a qualifier for a fee waiver.

Step 4

Talk to the prison's legal service. Bring all the papers with you. Tell the representative you want to file the divorce papers. The service should file the papers for you and return the documents you need, such as the filed summons and a blank service affidavit, to you.

Step 5

Arrange for personal service of the summons and a copy of the petition on your spouse. Talk to the prisoner's legal service for help. If they can't arrange for service for you, contact a friend who is over 18 and not related to you or your spouse, and ask him to personally hand the papers on your spouse. Mail him the summons, a petition copy and the service affidavit. Tell him he must complete and file the affidavit in the court you filed for divorce in, after he serves your spouse.

Step 6

Make arrangements to attend the hearing. Speak to your prison's legal service to find out if you can attend the hearing in person or by telephone.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to Get a Divorce If You Are an Inmate in a State Prison in Georgia


Related articles

How to File Your Own Divorce Papers in Tennessee

Do You Get an Automatic Divorce if a Spouse Is Incarcerated in Virginia?

How to Get a Divorce If I Don't Have the Filing Fee

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How to File for Divorce If Your Husband Is in Jail

How Does a Spouse Get Served for a Divorce in Broward County?

How to Get Divorced From Someone in Prison in Georgia

How to File a Divorce in the Dallas County Courts

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED