How to File for Divorce in Kansas City, Missouri

By Valerie Stevens

Five counties are included in the 319 square miles that make up metropolitan Kansas City, Missouri. State laws govern all issues of divorce, including fault grounds, custody, visitation, child support, alimony and property division. However, the procedures to file for divorce vary slightly from county to county. Depending on the circumstances and which county you file in, you might have to file financial statements, separation agreements, parenting plans and proposed orders when you file your petition. If you hire an attorney, some of this information can be filed later. Whether you file on your own, hire an attorney or use an online document preparation service, the laws are the same in Kansas City as in the rest of the state.


Missouri law requires you or your spouse live in the state and county for at least 90 days prior to the filing of a divorce action. If minor children are involved, the residency requirement is six months. To file for divorce in Kansas City, you can file in either Jackson, Clay, Cass, Platte or Ray counties.


Like other states, Missouri divorce law provides for no-fault divorce, which means you do not have to determine who is to blame in your divorce. A party does not have to prove her spouse committed some kind of misconduct. The state only requires you to prove the marriage is irretrievably broken and there is no reasonable likelihood of its preservation. If both parties agree to this in the divorce filings, the court will generally grant the divorce. However, proving fault, such as adultery, abuse or substance abuse problems, can influence property division and alimony.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More


The counties that make up Kansas City all require you to file a Petition for the Dissolution of Marriage, which you can obtain from the court clerk or the Missouri Supreme Court's Representing Yourself in Missouri Courts website. You can use the form provided by the state website or draft a petition yourself. If you hire an attorney, he will draft a petition for you. The petition must include addresses for you and your spouse if you know your spouse's address, date and location of your marriage, separation date if you are separated, and last four digits of your Social Security number and your spouse's. If you have minor children, you must provide information about the children and where they have lived. You can include a request for the marital property you want in the petition. For example, if you want to keep the marital home, you can ask for this in your petition. Alternatively, you can include your request for marital property in the separation agreement if you file the state form for self-representing litigants. Your petition must be verified, which means you must sign it in the presence of a notary public or have your lawyer sign it, then you must sign a verification. The divorce petition and accompanying documents must be served on your spouse. It can be delivered by a sheriff’s deputy or process server. If your spouse agrees to accept the petition without being served, he can sign an Answer to file with the court. You can get the form for an Answer and many other documents on the Representing Yourself in Missouri Courts website. You can serve your spouse by certified mail, if he lives out of state, or by publication if you cannot locate him.


You should file the petition for divorce and accompanying documents with the Circuit Court in your county. Make two copies of all documents and have them stamped by the clerk; one copy is for you and one is for your spouse. If your spouse has provided an Answer and you include it with your Petition, you need to make only two copies. Pay the filing fee required in your county. If you cannot afford to pay the filing fee, request a waiver.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to File for a Divorce in Maryland When One Party Is out of State



Related articles

How to File a Divorce in the Dallas County Courts

To file for a divorce in Dallas County, Texas, at least one party to the divorce must be a resident of Texas for a minimum of six months and a resident of Dallas County for at least 90 days. You should confirm that either you or your spouse meets these residency requirements before attempting to file for divorce in Dallas County, Texas.

Filing Divorce Papers in North Carolina Without Paying Court Costs

Filing for divorce can be expensive, forcing you to stay in an unhappy marriage if money is tight. However, if you cannot afford to pay the filing fee associated with filing for divorce in North Carolina, you can ask the court to waive the fees based upon your financial situation. Unfortunately, obtaining a waiver of the filing fee does not relieve you of the cost of any legal assistance you may require.

How to Do Your Own Divorce in Ohio

Either spouse may legally file for divorce in the state of Ohio. If your divorce is uncontested or no-fault, you can likely do it yourself without the assistance of an attorney. If your spouse contests the divorce or you anticipate a complex process, you should consider consulting a family attorney for advice. Ohio law allows you to end a marriage in one of two ways, either by divorce or dissolution of marriage. The dissolution of marriage procedure is cheaper and less bureaucratic, but requires each spouse to agree on all essential issues.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How to File Your Own Divorce Papers in Tennessee

In order to file for divorce in Tennessee, you must draw up the necessary papers, file them with a court clerk, have ...

How to Write a Divorce Complaint in Tennessee

The process of filing for divorce in Tennessee begins when you file a divorce complaint, also known as a petition for ...

Paper Work for a Divorce in the State of Indiana

Filling out and filing paperwork is a large part of the divorce process in Indiana. The exact forms required depend on ...

How to Obtain a Divorce in North Carolina

If you wish to obtain a divorce in North Carolina, you can hire an attorney to handle the process for you or you can ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED