How to File for Divorce in South Carolina When the Spouse's Residence Is Unknown

By Beverly Bird

Not all spouses run immediately to the courthouse to file for divorce when they separate. You might live apart for a while, then ultimately decide to make things official and legally end your marriage. If you've lost track of your spouse in the meantime, you can still get a divorce in South Carolina. It's just a matter of taking a few more steps.

Beginning the Process

All South Carolina divorces begin with the filing of a summons and complaint for divorce. The complaint details the reason you feel the court should grant you a divorce – your grounds – and lists what you would like the court to award you, such as custody or a fair division of property. If you and your spouse have lived apart for at least a year, you can file on South Carolina's no-fault grounds of separation. The summons simply tells your spouse that you've filed for divorce. It explains what he should do in response, and how long he has to do so.

Attempting Service

After you've filed your complaint with the court, you must attempt service of process, even if you're not sure where your spouse is currently residing. He has a right to know you've filed and to respond with his own requests. South Carolina law allows three types of service: you can have the county sheriff deliver the paperwork to him, use a private process server or send the papers by certified mail. If you don't know where your spouse is, the sheriff is not going to be able to find him nor will a private process server be able to do so. You must arrange for them to try, however. In addition to their efforts, you must mail a copy of your divorce papers to your ex's last known address, return receipt requested.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Petitioning the Court

After you've attempted all three methods of service, you'll have to do a little detective work. Go online to social network sites to see if you can find a hint of your ex or get some idea of where he's currently living. Use a search engine to see if you can get a hit on his name. Enlist the services of a private detective if you can afford it. Check public records, do a telephone search, and check with his last known employer as well as any known family members. When you've exhausted every effort, you've completed a diligent search for your spouse, so you can now ask the court to allow you to serve him by publication. This involves filing a petition for an order by publication, and you must also file an affidavit explaining everything you did to try to find your spouse and attach proof of your efforts.

Service by Publication

If a judge believes you did everything possible to find your ex, he'll issue you an order for service by publication. Take the order, as well as a copy of your summons, to a newspaper. The court will tell you which paper to use in its order – it's usually the one serving the county where your spouse was last known to have lived or where he's most likely to notice it. Under South Carolina law, you must run a copy of the summons notice in the paper once a week for three consecutive weeks.


After you've run your notice in the newspaper for the required period of time, the newspaper will issue you an affidavit of publication, certifying that you've done so. Your next step is to file this with the court. Thirty days after the last day your notice appeared in the paper, you can file an affidavit of default with the court, asking a judge to grant you a divorce regardless of the fact that you couldn't serve your spouse personally.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to Divorce in Florida if Your Spouse Is Nowhere to Be Found


Related articles

How to File for Divorce if I Can't Find My Spouse in New Hampshire

No state forces you to remain married just because you don’t know where your spouse is living. New Hampshire law specifies a procedure for filing for divorce if you’ve lost track of your spouse's whereabouts. You'll have to take a few additional steps, but your divorce can then proceed along normal channels.

How to: Divorce Notice for an Absent Spouse

If you’ve lost track of your spouse and no longer know where he’s living, you can still get a divorce. The law requires that your spouse must receive notice that you've filed for divorce but most states allow you to do this by publication when you can't find him to personally serve him with your paperwork. You'll have to take additional legal steps, but his absence doesn't mean you have to remain married to him.

How to Send a Letter for a Divorce Signature

Good communication with your spouse may not save your marriage, but it can expedite your divorce. To proceed with a divorce, you must arrange for your spouse to get a copy of your filing papers, known as service of process. While not every couple can reach an amicable agreement, you will save time and money by arranging for a cooperative spouse to accept service of process by mail. If he signs the acknowledgment of service, the divorce can proceed.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How to Get Divorced if the Spouse's Location Is Unknown

Although it’s possible to divorce a missing spouse, technology and the Internet might make it possible to avoid ...

How to Place a Divorce Notice in a Newspaper

Although no law can force you to stay married to your spouse, he can make it difficult to divorce him if you can’t find ...

Filing a Divorce Notification for an Absent Spouse in Missouri

Missouri allows you to proceed with a divorce if you’ve lost track of your spouse's whereabouts, but you’ll have to ...

How Soon Can I Get a Divorce After a Spouse is Served in Texas?

As in most states, how quickly you can get a Texas divorce depends on how complicated your divorce is, not how much ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED