How to File for a Divorce If Your Spouse Is An Inmate in New York State

By Karyn Maier

The Domestic Relations Laws of New York State permit either spouse to file for a divorce even if one is an inmate in state prison. As with any other divorce action in this state, there are certain criteria that must be met in terms of residency and grounds, and there are further stipulations if one spouse is incarcerated. If you are not sure how to proceed, consult an experienced divorce attorney for additional guidance.

Incarceration as Grounds

In New York State, there are seven grounds, or causes, to commence a divorce action. The incarceration of a spouse is considered one of the grounds for divorce in this state, providing the spouse has been imprisoned for three years or more prior to filing for divorce. If your spouse has been sentenced to serve three or more years but three years of confinement have not yet passed, you cannot use incarceration as grounds for divorce until that period of time has passed. If you want to divorce sooner than three years, you can divorce on “no-fault” grounds based on the irretrievable breakdown of the marriage.

Residency Requirements

To file for divorce in New York State at all, you must satisfy certain criteria relating to residency in the state. If the grounds for divorce is the incarceration of the other spouse for three or more years in a New York State prison, then the spouse bringing the action must have resided in the state for one year prior to filing for divorce.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Initiating a Divorce Action

If you are the petitioner in the action, meaning the party initiating the divorce proceeding, you must serve your spouse, the respondent, with a Summons and Complaint, which are usually annexed together and treated as a single document. A copy of the Summons and Complaint, together with an Affidavit of Service to show that service was properly made, is filed with the county clerk’s office. You will need to purchase an Index Number to file these papers with the clerk, which identifies the file by number and the year the action commenced.

Divorcing from Prison

If you wish to file for divorce while you are an inmate in New York State, you must follow the same procedure as a non-inmate; however, you may want to cite other acceptable grounds for divorce, such as adultery. You can also file using “no-fault” grounds. If you want to file for divorce from prison but cannot afford an attorney, you can ask the court to appoint one to represent you.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
The Pennsylvania Laws on the Spouse Divorcing an Inmate


Related articles

Ohio Divorce Laws & Willful Desertion

The Ohio courts of common pleas recognize fault and no-fault grounds for divorce. No-fault divorce is facilitated by voluntary separation for 12 months or an uncontested claim of incompatibility made by either spouse. It is also possible to achieve a dissolution of marriage, providing both parties are in complete agreement regarding property division, custody and child support. Otherwise, there are several fault-based grounds for getting a divorce in Ohio, including willful desertion.

How to File a Motion for Divorce if a Spouse Is Stalling

If you want a divorce, but your spouse is stalling, you can still get a divorce. All 50 states now offer a no-fault divorce option that allows one spouse to file for divorce on the grounds that the marriage partners have irreconcilable differences, even if the other spouse is opposed to the divorce. The paperwork that begins this process is typically called a "petition" or "complaint" for divorce -- not a motion.

How to Serve Military Personnel With Divorce Papers

Military courts cannot grant divorces, so military couples must get divorced in state courts following the same basic process that civilians follow. However, divorces involving service members can have additional obstacles because of the nature of military service. For example, it can be tricky to find a way to serve your military spouse if he is overseas or on a military base.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How to Get a Divorce If You Are an Inmate in a State Prison in Georgia

Divorce is the legal recognition that your marriage has ended. If you or your spouse is an inmate in a state prison in ...

Can a Divorce Take Place in Texas if the Spouse Is Incarcerated?

If you wish to divorce your incarcerated spouse in Texas, the procedure is much like any other divorce. The residency ...

How to Serve Divorce Papers

In a divorce filing, papers filed with the court must be properly served on the other spouse. Examples of these papers ...

How an Inmate Obtains a Divorce in Ohio

Although filing for divorce while incarcerated poses a unique set of challenges, the process itself is the same for all ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED