How to File an Extension for an S Corp

By Thomas King

An S corp, sometimes called an S corporation or a pass-through entity, is a business entity, such as a corporation or an LLC, that elects to be taxed under Subchapter S of the Internal Revenue Code. In general, this election allows the business to avoid being taxed at the corporate level. Nevertheless, an S corp must still file a tax return, Form 1120S. If necessary, you can file for a six-month extension of time to file.

Step 1

Navigate to the Internal Revenue Service website, and enter "forms and publications" in the search box. Select the result titled "Forms and Publications."

Step 2

Type "7004" into the search box. Select the result titled "Form 7004."

Get a free, confidential bankruptcy evaluation. Learn More

Step 3

Fill out your name and contact information at the top of the form.

Step 4

Type "25" in Part II, Section 1B, where it asks for the form code. This code indicates that you are asking for an extension to file your form 1120S. Do not check the boxes in Part II, Section 2 or 3.

Step 5

Fill out the remaining tax information in Part III. As an S corp, your "tentative total tax" is likely "0." Note that you should not check the box in Part III, as your S corporation does not qualify under Regulations section 1.6081-5.

Step 6

File Form 7004 by the regular due date of the tax return. The form can be filed electronically through the IRS e-file service or by sending the form to the appropriate Internal Revenue Service Center.

Get a free, confidential bankruptcy evaluation. Learn More
How to Apply for a Tax Extension for an S Corporation



Related articles

Do I Need to Pay Taxes if I Do Not Make Revenue As a Sole Proprietor?

Sole proprietors carry on business in their own names, without partners or shareholders -- it's the simplest form of business entity. As a sole proprietor, you still must register your fictitious business name with the appropriate local government agency and file an annual tax return with the IRS and your state, if applicable. Sole proprietors pay income taxes on net income as individuals -- the business does not file a separate tax return.

How to File a Tax Return for an LLC

LLCs borrow tax forms from sole proprietorships and partnerships rather than using their own specialized forms. Single-member LLCs file taxes like an individual, using Form 1040, Schedule C to calculate business income. Multi-member LLCs use the form for partnerships to calculate their tax obligations for the year. An LLC can also elect to file as a C or S corporation, using the appropriate forms. You can file all forms online, making tax time more convenient for LLC members.

How to Get a Tax ID for an LLC Company

It can be highly advantageous to organize your small business as a limited liability company, or LLC. An LLC is a separate legal entity, with assets and debts that are distinct from the assets and debts of the individuals operating the LLC. Because an LLC is a separate legal entity, you must register your LLC with the Internal Revenue Service. The IRS generally requires all businesses, including LLCs, to obtain an Employee Identification Number, or EID.

Related articles

Depreciation in a Sole Proprietorship

A sole proprietorship is a form of unincorporated business that acts as an alter ego of the owner and reports its ...

Divorce Papers for Washington State

Even in cases where a couple agrees to get divorced, the process can seem like it takes forever. This is due in part to ...

Do I Owe a Penalty if I Don't File a Pennsylvania Corporation Tax Return?

Pennsylvania levies a corporate income tax on certain firms doing business in the state. At the time of publication, ...

How to Change From Sole Proprietor to LLC Business

Changing your business from a sole proprietorship to a limited liability company, or LLC, is accomplished by complying ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED