How Do I File for Legal Separation in Nebraska?

By Beverly Bird

Only a handful of states recognize legal separation -- a separation that occurs when you receive a judgment from the court, not when you just sign a separation agreement with your spouse. Nebraska is one of these states and the procedure is virtually identical to filing for divorce. At the end of the litigation, the court will issue an order for the division of marital property, custody and support. The greatest difference is that with a judgment of separation -- as opposed to divorce -- neither you nor your spouse are free to marry again.

Complaint for Separation

Initiating a legal separation is exactly the same as beginning a divorce -- you must file a complaint with the court. Complaints for divorce are available on Nebraska's court website, but for a separation, you'll have to visit the district court in your county to get a form. You can only file for separation on no-fault grounds in Nebraska, so you must state in the complaint that your marriage is irretrievably broken.

Residency Requirements

There is no residency requirement for legal separation in Nebraska, so you can file the day after you move to the state -- unless you have children. Under the terms of the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act -- a federal law adopted by most states, including Nebraska -- only the state where your children have lived for the last six months can issue custody orders. Therefore, if you have children, they must have lived in Nebraska for six months before you can file for a legal separation.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Serving the Complaint

After you complete your complaint for separation, you must sign it and file it with the court. When this is accomplished, you must arrange to have a filed copy served on your spouse, just as you would if you were asking for a divorce. To accomplish this, you'll have to complete a "praecipe for summons and personal service." This form asks the court to deliver your complaint to your spouse, and it's available either from the district court clerk or from the state's court website. After you complete the form, give it to the sheriff in the county where your spouse lives, along with a filed copy of your complaint. A sheriff's officer will personally hand-deliver a copy of your complaint to your spouse. This begins your litigation.

Converting Your Complaint

After you've filed for separation, your legal action continues to proceed along the same channels as a divorce. If you and your spouse reach a settlement agreement, you can both sign it and submit it to the court for approval. Your agreement will become your legal judgment of separation. Otherwise, you'll go to trial where a judge will make orders regarding property division, custody and support. A contested separation litigation can drag out six months or more, while the court or lawyers determine the value of marital assets, support issues, or the parent who is most appropriate to receive custody of the children. If you meet Nebraska's residency requirement for divorce -- one year -- while your separation litigation is in progress, you can ask the court to convert the legal action to one for divorce instead of legal separation. Your litigation can begin as one for separation, then -- when you achieve residency -- the court can ultimately grant you a divorce instead, if you prefer.

After Your Judgment

If you decide you want a divorce after you receive a judgment of separation and after your separation litigation is final, you must start all over again. You would have to file a new complaint, one for divorce this time. In most cases, the terms of your separation decree would roll over into a divorce decree, unless you or your spouse is unhappy with the terms of your separation order. Technically, if you file for divorce after you receive a separation decree, it opens a whole new litigation, so you can have a court address the same issues all over again and hope for a better result.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
North Carolina Divorce a Year After Separating or Signing a Separation Agreement


Related articles

Procedures for a Legal Separation & Divorce in Illinois

Illinois law recognizes legal separation, although not all states do. Legal separations are somewhat rare in the state, however, because the procedure, expense and outcome are almost identical to those of a divorce. The predominant difference is that with a separation, you’re still legally married, and with a divorce, you are not.

Ways to Respond to Divorce Summons in North Carolina

No matter where you live, when your spouse serves you with a divorce summons, it's possible to do nothing at all. However, in most states, you'll risk a lot if you don't respond. If your spouse has asked for full custody and all the property you own, you'll give up these things without a fight if you don't answer. This isn't always the case in North Carolina because divorce complaints generally don't include requests for property or custody.

Laws on How to Prove I Am Legally Separated in North Carolina

North Carolina is one of the easiest states in which to end your marriage. It’s a no-fault state. Absent rare circumstances, such as a spouse's insanity, spouses must live separately, in two different residences, for a year before one can file for divorce. However, one year and one day after you separate, you can begin the legal process and terminate your marriage relatively quickly. North Carolina law does not give your spouse many options for contesting the divorce and you do not have to resolve issues of custody first.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How Long Does a Legal Separation Take?

Legal separation comes in two forms -- separation by agreement, or separation by judicial process. Which type of ...

Arkansas Laws for Separation

Marital separation can be particularly complicated in Arkansas because the state recognizes two types of marriages and ...

How to Separate in a Marriage

Divorce isn't for everyone--at least not immediately. For any number of reasons, spouses might want to live separately ...

Different Kinds of Divorce in Ohio

On the surface, Ohio seems to offer many different options for ending your marriage. In actuality, these options are ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED