How do I File a Motion to Change the Venue for a Divorce in Michigan?

By Rebecca Hayley

Michigan handles the venue of domestic relations cases differently from other civil actions. When filing for divorce in Michigan, a party may select any circuit court within the commonwealth in which to file the proceeding. However, the preferred venue is the circuit court for the county where either spouse currently resides. The only residency requirement to file a divorce proceeding is to live in the Commonwealth of Michigan for no less than six months prior to the date of filing. Venue may be changed when one party is seeking a modification to a divorce decree.

Step 1

Review Michigan Court Rule 3.212 for circumstances when the court will transfer a post-judgment divorce case to another county in Michigan. Both parties' change of residence to a non-contiguous county since the entry of the original divorce decree is reason to request a change of venue.

Step 2

Complete a Motion/Stipulation for Transferring Case (Postjudgment), form FOC 24. You can download the form from the Michigan State Courts website. If the other party agrees to the change of venue, mark the form's boxes for a stipulation. The other party will need to sign the form as well before you file. If the other party does not agree to the change or is unaware of your desire to transfer the case, check the boxes for a motion. The other party will not need to sign the motion, but you will.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Step 3

Call the clerk of the circuit court for the Michigan county that currently has venue and request a hearing date, if the other party has not agreed and stipulated to the transfer. Complete the notice of hearing portion of form FOC 24 with the date, time, location and name of the judge or hearing officer assigned to hear the motion.

Step 4

Mail a copy of the motion and notice of hearing, form FOC 24, to the other party and the party’s attorney. You must mail the motion and notice at least nine days before the hearing date. Complete the certificate of mailing portion of form FOC 24, reflecting the date you mailed the copy to the other party.

Step 5

File the original copy of form FOC 24 with the clerk of the circuit court for the Michigan county that currently has venue at least seven days before the hearing date. There will be a small fee to file a motion for transfer. Keep two copies of the form, one for you and one to file with the Friend of the Court for the county that currently has venue of the case.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to Appeal a Divorce Decree From a Default Hearing


Related articles

How to Change a Legal Name in Kansas

You can get a new name in Kansas legally by petitioning the district court in your county. You must be a resident of Kansas for at least sixty days before you're allowed to file a name change petition in the state. Kansas state law allows each district court to decide what hearing notice method is used for name change cases, so depending on where you live, you may have to send notice of the name change hearing by mail or publish a legal notice in a Kansas newspaper.

How to Get a Copy of a Divorce Online in New Jersey

Certified divorce documents are often needed for various financial transactions and other legal matters. The New Jersey State Court System maintains an extensive website that provides general information, legal forms, a list of all the local county courthouses and a public search engine. Divorce cases are kept by the county in which they were filed and classified active or closed. Older closed files are eventually archived and those files are moved from the local county courthouses to the Superior Court Clerk’s Office and stored in a central warehouse. To order the document you need, you must locate your case, determine whether it is active, closed or archived, and order the documents.

How to Get a Transfer of Venue in a Divorce in Alabama

Divorce is always difficult, but especially so if you have to travel across the state to present your case. Many states, including Alabama, limit the counties in which a divorce can be filed. Counties in which the parties have had substantial contacts are said to have "venue." If your spouse files for divorce in an inconvenient or inappropriate county, you can ask the court to transfer the case to a county with venue.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How do I Dissolve LLC in State of Michigan?

Under Michigan law, all limited liability companies must register with the Michigan Department of Energy, Labor and ...

How to Block a Motion to Transfer a Divorce Proceeding in Minnesota

The time leading up to filing for divorce is often fraught with anxiety, nervousness, uncertainty and an overwhelming ...

How do I Rename a California LLC?

If you've already gone through the process of registering your LLC with the state of California, then you should ...

How to Legally Change Your Name in Arizona?

In Arizona it is a fairly simple process to change your name. If you do not like the name you were born with, or you ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED