How to File a Motion for Divorce if a Spouse Is Stalling

By Robin Elizabeth Margolis

If you want a divorce, but your spouse is stalling, you can still get a divorce. All 50 states now offer a no-fault divorce option that allows one spouse to file for divorce on the grounds that the marriage partners have irreconcilable differences, even if the other spouse is opposed to the divorce. The paperwork that begins this process is typically called a "petition" or "complaint" for divorce -- not a motion.

Step 1

Explain to your spouse that state laws permit you to divorce, even if one spouse is unwilling. Because the no-fault divorce laws were gradually adopted on a state-by-state basis between 1969 and 2011, some people mistakenly believe that the only legal divorce options are "at fault" divorce, allowing divorce on very limited grounds such as adultery or impotence; thereby, giving uncooperative spouses a way to stall a divorce.

Step 2

Review the divorce laws for your state to see what requirements you may need to fulfill to file for divorce, such as living apart from your spouse for a specific period of time.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Step 3

Obtain the initial paperwork you need in your jurisdiction, either from your local courthouse or from a third-party legal document service. The court clerk can tell you what paperwork is necessary. Typically, you will obtain a petition for divorce and a summons form.

Step 4

Fill out the petition for divorce according to the instructions. Depending on where you live, your state may provide online examples of a petition for divorce.

Step 5

Fill out the summons form. A summons is a notice to your spouse asking your spouse to answer the petition for divorce by filing an answer in the court where you filed the divorce petition. Whether or not he chooses to answer the summons, however, you can still obtain a divorce.

Step 6

File your completed petition for divorce with your local court -- along with any other paperwork that your local jurisdiction and circumstances require -- and pay any necessary fees.

Step 7

Send the summons, along with a copy of your petition for divorce, to your spouse. Depending on the laws in your state, you can deliver the summons and petition in person, by certified or first-class mail, or by hiring a sheriff or a process server to deliver the papers for you.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to Get a Divorce When Your Spouse Isn't a U.S. Citizen and Left the Country



Related articles

How to File for Divorce for Free in Florida

The state of Florida requires that divorces begin with a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage. This sets the legal process of divorce in motion; eventually, the courts will hear the case and a judge will sign a final decree, at which point the divorce is complete and legal. Although the process can be expensive, state law provides for filing free of charge for those who qualify.

How to File for a Divorce If Your Spouse Is An Inmate in New York State

The Domestic Relations Laws of New York State permit either spouse to file for a divorce even if one is an inmate in state prison. As with any other divorce action in this state, there are certain criteria that must be met in terms of residency and grounds, and there are further stipulations if one spouse is incarcerated. If you are not sure how to proceed, consult an experienced divorce attorney for additional guidance.

Guide to Divorce for Men in New Hampshire

If you are seeking a divorce from your wife in New Hampshire, you must satisfy a number of legal requirements before a court will dissolve your marriage. To avoid any time-consuming and costly delays, it’s wise to familiarize yourself with some of the New Hampshire divorce laws before filing your petition.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How to Serve Divorce Papers

In a divorce filing, papers filed with the court must be properly served on the other spouse. Examples of these papers ...

How to File Separation Papers

Married people decide to file separation papers for many reasons. Some couples want a cooling off period when they are ...

How to Get Free Divorce Papers

An uncontested divorce is one is which both partners agree on all of the aspects of the divorce, such as the grounds ...

Absolute Divorce in North Carolina

Most divorces in North Carolina are absolute divorces. Although North Carolina offers a second form of divorce, called ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED