How to File a Motion to Enforce Child Support in Texas

By Heather Frances J.D.

Your divorce decree probably included provisions for child support payments and custody, but if your ex-spouse doesn’t pay child support as ordered, you may need to return to court for help enforcing the child support order. Texas courts have broad authority to enforce their own child support orders once you file a motion, and the Child Support Enforcement division of the Attorney General’s Office may be able to help you file.


A parent who is owed child support in Texas can ask the courts for a number of remedies to help collect the past-due support. The court can order a child support lien to be placed on your ex-spouse’s real estate or other property, and portions of his tax returns or government benefit payments can be seized. If enough support is past-due, the state can revoke his driver’s license or professional licenses. Your ex-spouse can even be held in contempt of court for failing to comply with the court’s order, and contempt can involve jail time.

Motion Form

To help you draft your motion, you can go to the court that issued your child support order and ask for a motion form since each court has its own preferred format, or you can hire an attorney to draft the motion for you. The motion must include the important details about your case, including the amount of support that was ordered to be paid, the amount that has been paid and the amount that is past due. If you want to file a motion asking the court to hold your ex-spouse in contempt, you must indicate the portion of the custody or support order that he violated along with the date of each violation, the amount due and the amount paid. Your motion may also include a request that your ex-spouse either pay his past-due support in accordance with a court-approved payment plan or find work to make payments under an already existing plan.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More


You are required to prove your case to the court, so your motion may benefit from attachments such as a copy of the record of child support payments your ex-spouse made. Typically, this record is maintained by your payment agency, either the Texas Child Support Disbursement Unit or your county registry. You can also attach a copy of the original support order, and any subsequent modifications, to the motion since the court will want to see these orders before making its decision.

Filing and Service

Once the motion is complete and the attachments are assembled, you can file the motion with the court. You will also have to serve the motion, attachments and a summons on your ex-spouse. You should also keep a copy of all documents for yourself.


Texas court rules give your ex-spouse a certain number of days to respond to the motion, and if he disputes anything in your motion, the court may require you to request a hearing date. If your ex-spouse does not respond, the court may enter its decision without his input.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to Request Arrears for Child Support in Texas


Related articles

How to Get Evidence of Child Support Payments

Child support are payments made from one parent to the child's other parent to cover a portion of the child's expenses. When one parent does not have custody of the child, ordering the noncustodial parent to pay child support is a way of ensuring that he pays his fair share. Child support evasion is a serious charge that can result in wage garnishment, contempt charges or property liens, so it is important that you are able to provide evidence, if that question arises, that you have made child support payments according to the terms of your child support order.

How to Enforce a Breach of Contract in a Divorce

In the process of getting your divorce, you and your ex-spouse may have made an agreement – sometimes called a marital settlement agreement – to address the specifics of your separation. A marital settlement agreement is a contract and, like any contract, you have the right to enforce it if your ex-spouse breaches it.

What Happens When Your Ex Breaks the Divorce Agreement in Georgia?

A divorce judgment or decree is an enforceable legal order. If your agreement is included as part of your decree, your ex is legally obligated to follow all its terms. However, if you have a verbal or private agreement with your ex, a Georgia court cannot enforce it or make him honor it. You’d have to petition the court to set the terms of your agreement into an order first. Only after this is accomplished can the court intercede if your ex refuses to abide by its terms.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How to Enforce Divorce Judgments in Illinois

Your divorce decree governs many issues between you and your ex-spouse including child custody, child support, spousal ...

Can I Sue My Ex-wife for Breaking the Divorce Decree?

Divorce decrees often contain details about property division, child custody, child support payments and alimony, but ...

How to Get Copies of a Divorce Decree in Texas

If you need a copy of a Texas divorce decree, you must request it from the district clerk at the courthouse where the ...

How to Collect New Jersey Alimony in Arrears

If your ex-spouse has stopped paying his alimony or is not paying as much as he is supposed to, the past due alimony ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED