How to File a Responsive Declaration For Child Custody

By Elizabeth Rayne

By responding to a complaint or petition for custody, you have the opportunity to tell the court your side of the story. While state laws vary, a parent will generally file a responsive declaration for child custody, also known as an answer, after the other parent has filed for custody of the children when the parents do not agree on the custody arrangement. After the petition and response are filed, the court will determine the custody arrangement based on the best interests of the child.


After receiving a complaint for custody, you may have a specified amount of time to respond to the claims. Depending on the laws of your state, the deadline may be 20 to 30 days. You may be able to obtain a response form from the court clerk in some states. In general, you will need to agree or disagree with each claim made by your spouse and explain why it is in the child's best interests for you to have custody. You will then make two copies of the form, sending the original to the court while keeping one copy for yourself and providing the other copy to your spouse.

Facts and Evidence

All states make custody determinations based on what is in the best interests of the child. As a result, the facts that you include in your response should focus on the needs of your child. For example, the court will be interested in the health and ability of each parent to take care of the child, as well as any history of domestic violence or drug abuse. For anything that you assert in the response, you should have evidence to back up the claims in court. As a result, it is important to focus on the facts, and present the information in a reasonable and mature manner.

Get a free, confidential bankruptcy evaluation. Learn More

Failing to Respond

If you do not file a response to the custody petition, the court may decide the custody arrangement without your input. Specifically, if your spouse does not receive a response by the end of the time period, she may ask the court to schedule a default hearing. If you do not show up to the default hearing, the custody arrangement will be finalized without your input. However, the court will still make the custody decision based on what is in the best interests of the child.

Hiring an Attorney

You may represent yourself throughout the divorce and child custody process. However, with more complicated situations, you may decide to get professional help from an attorney. For example, custody proceedings may become complicated for victims of domestic violence, particularly for someone also looking to file a restraining order. Further, if the parents live in two different states, an attorney may help with determining jurisdictional issues and whether or not you have to respond to a custody petition if you live out of state.

Get a free, confidential bankruptcy evaluation. Learn More
Answering a Citation of Divorce


Related articles

How to Divorce & Give Up Custody

Life is full of hard choices, especially during a divorce in which property issues frequently prove less emotional than questions about child custody. If you decide that it is in your children's best interests to live with their other parent, you can waive custody in a divorce settlement agreement or in court filings.

How to File for Child Custody in Ohio

In child custody proceedings in Ohio, parents must demonstrate their proposed custody arrangement is in their child's best interests. If you want to seek custody of your child, you must show that you can provide a stable, healthy, loving environment for your child. Except in extreme cases involving domestic violence or child abuse, judges almost always grant visitation to the noncustodial parent.

Can You Get a Divorce in the State of Alabama If One Partner Refuses?

If your spouse is not cooperating in the divorce process, you may think you have no options to get out of an unhappy marriage. But while an uncooperative spouse can make the divorce process take longer and be more costly, the court in Alabama has the authority to grant the divorce even if your spouse opposes it. For example, the judge can grant a default divorce and any requests made by you in your divorce complaint.

Related articles

How to Answer Divorce Complaints in Georgia

Being served with divorce paperwork can be a stressful experience. These documents are often difficult to understand ...

In a Divorce Proceeding Do You File for Divorce or Child Custody First?

If you have children, divorce and custody go hand in hand. Filing for divorce automatically addresses child custody ...

How to Petition the Court for Custody

Custody of a child generally gives an adult the right to provide for the minor's daily care and education. This custody ...

How to File an Answer to a Divorce Summons

When you receive a Summons and Complaint in a divorce action, you typically have 20 days in which to respond. Your ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED