How to File Taxes and Claim Children Due to Past-Due Child Support

By Jeff Franco J.D./M.A./M.B.A.

Claiming your children as dependents is never automatic; there are a number of requirements you must satisfy before you can file your taxes with dependent exemptions. However, child support payments you make or receive — regardless of whether they are past due or not — aren’t factors to consider when evaluating whether you can claim your children as dependents. When parents are separated or divorced, only one parent can claim the dependent exemption for their children.

Support Requirement

The IRS refers to any child for whom you are eligible to claim a dependent exemption as a “qualifying child.” One of the requirements for claiming a child is that the child may not provide more than half his own financial support during the year. As a result, it makes no difference which parent provides the support. For example, if a child works part-time and contributes $10,000 to his own support, while an additional $10,000 is supposed to come from child support payments of the noncustodial parent — the support requirement is still met and you may be eligible to claim your children’s dependent exemptions despite the fact that you don’t contribute to their support. And if the children’s other parent catches up on past-due child support payments, it doesn’t make him eligible to claim the exemptions -- or you ineligible to claim them.

Residency of Children

Although child support payments you or the children’s other parent have an obligation to make are irrelevant for assessing whether you can claim dependency exemptions — what is relevant is that the children live with you for more than half the tax year. If you have joint custody of your children with their other parent, to satisfy the residency requirement, your children must spend more nights at your home than their other parent’s home. Even if your children spend one night more with you during the year, you will satisfy the residency requirement.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan

Age and Joint Returns

Before you file your taxes, you must also ensure that your children satisfy the age requirement of a qualifying child. Qualifying children must always be under the age of 19 for the entire tax year, or full-time students under the age of 24. One thing to keep in mind is that if any of your children are married and file a joint return with their spouses for any reason other than to receive a refund of all tax payments, they cannot be your dependents.

Filing Your Taxes

When it comes time to file your tax return and you plan to claim dependent exemptions for your children, there are some practical considerations of which you must be aware. First, you must file your tax return on Form 1040 or 1040A to report dependents. If you choose to file on the simpler 1040EZ, you cannot claim any dependents on the form. Once you choose the form, reporting your children in the exemptions section takes no time at all. You only need to report each child’s name, Social Security number and note whether each child is your son or daughter. This allows you to take one exemption for each child. Exemptions for your children are fixed in amount and work just like deductions in that they reduce your taxable income, and ultimately reduce the amount of income tax you owe.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan
Can Divorcing Parents Split Children for Taxes?


Related articles

Can a Man Paying Child Support Be Denied to Claim a Child on Income Taxes?

All states have a system in place for deciding how divorced or separated parents will support their minor children. Unfortunately, the potentially crippling child support order under which you're paying doesn't, in and of itself, allow you to claim the child on your taxes. Even if you're paying for the majority of the child's support and expenses, other factors determine which parent gets to claim the child.

Receiving a BAH After Getting Divorced

Divorcing when you are a member of the military has its own unique set of concerns, many of them associated with the military pay system. Your right to receive a Basic Allowance for Housing, or BAH, can be affected by divorce, but in most cases, you'll continue to receive it. It may be adjusted to reflect your new marital status, depending on whether you have children. The computations are complex, so if you have questions, consult with an attorney familiar with both family and military law.

Can You Claim Taxes on a Home in Puerto Rico That You Inherited?

If you inherit a home in Puerto Rico and plan on using it as a personal residence or rental property, you’ll inherit an annual property tax bill as well. But if you file a U.S. tax return, you may be able to claim those taxes as an itemized deduction. However, the more difficult task is determining whether you need to file a U.S. tax return in the first place.

LegalZoom. Legal help is here. Start Here. Wills. Trusts. Attorney help.

Related articles

How to File Taxes After Divorce

Going through a divorce and dealing with all the personal changes it brings is never easy. Unfortunately, you’ll also ...

How to File a Motion for Claiming Dependants After Divorce

If your divorce agreement does not say anything about who gets to claim the children as dependents, then typically the ...

What Happens When a Mom Gives Up Custody?

Legally, the ramifications of giving up custody of children are not gender-specific. The non-custodial parent sees her ...

Tax Filing Rights for Joint Custody

When determining a custody arrangement for your children, taxes may not typically be in the forefront of your mind. ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED