How to File for Temporary Custody in California

By Wayne Thomas

In California, after filing for divorce, a couple must wait at least six months before a final judgment will be issued. During this time, important issues such as child custody may be addressed through temporary orders. Although temporary custody orders typically require the participation of both spouses, the state allows certain emergency orders to be issued without your spouse's presence.

Overview of Custody

California's divorce paperwork requires that parties with minor children include the names and ages of each child and propose a custody arrangement. The state recognizes both physical and legal custody. Physical custody refers to where the child stays overnight, and legal custody refers to the authority to make major decisions for the child, such as those related to health care, religion and education. You must note in your documents whether each type of custody should be shared or held solely by you or your spouse.

Order to Show Cause

If and your spouse can agree on a custody arrangement while your divorce is pending, you do not have to involve the court. Otherwise, you will need to request a temporary order from the judge. This begins with completing and filing an order to show cause. This form is available from the courthouse, and it requests that the court hold a brief hearing during which a judge will order a temporary custody arrangement. Temporary hearings are usually brief and concise in comparison to the actual divorce trial because temporary orders are just that -- they're subject to change at the time your divorce is final. State law requires that you and your spouse attend mediation before the hearing to attempt to reach an agreement. At the hearing, you can address the court and you will probably have to answer questions from the judge.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Role in Permanent Orders

Despite being ordered on limited information and after only a short hearing, temporary orders don't always change. They may form the basis for permanent orders, carrying over into your decree. One reason for this is to promote consistency and avoid disruption in your child's life. When a judge issues a permanent order in your decree, he is required to base his decision on the best interests of your child. This involves considering several factors outlined in state law, including the nature and amount of contact your child will have with each parent and which parent is better able to provide adequate care and guidance. If one parent is given sole custody on a temporary basis while the divorce is pending, it might prove difficult for the other parent to demonstrate to the court that the child's best interests support a change, particularly if the arrangement has been working.

Emergency Orders

In limited cases, you may seek a temporary order on an emergency basis if you can show that waiting for the court to schedule a hearing will lead to irreparable harm to your child. You can indicate in your order to show cause that the situation is an emergency and explain why. By law, you must usually give your spouse 24 hours' notice before you file. This provides him with an opportunity to attend the hearing and object. In cases where there is a threat to your child, however, the order can be issued without notice to your spouse. This is reserved for extreme cases, such as those involving domestic violence or immediate threats to leave the country with the child. These emergency orders expire after 15 days, by which time a hearing with the participation of your spouse must be held.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
What Is an Ex Parte Custody Order?


Related articles

How to Get Sole Custody in California Without a Lawyer

Ensuring that children are properly cared for when parents can no longer live together is at the forefront of every custody decision. In California, if you cannot agree on a parenting arrangement with your spouse, you may request the court award sole custody to you. In order to be successful, you must convince the court that this arrangement is in the child's best interest.

A Stipulation for Temporary Order for a Divorce

Filing for divorce can be a life-changing event. While the matter is pending, it is not uncommon for one spouse to reside somewhere other than the marital home. This can create immediate questions regarding each party's finances and the parent with which the children should live. For such pressing matters, the court will need to issue temporary orders. If you and your spouse agree, you may file a stipulation for the judge to sign.

Emergency Visitation Rights

In extreme situations, a judge may be able to issue an emergency visitation order on an ex parte basis. This means that the judge will issue the order without the requirement of notifying the other party or a full hearing. An ex parte order is temporary in nature, usually lasting no longer than 30 days, and provides the parent seeking protection the opportunity to obtain judicial assistance without the lengthy waiting period usually associated with domestic cases. As always, any proceeding involving children will be decided based on the best interests of each child.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How to Appeal a Temporary Order of Child Custody

In the context of divorce, temporary custody is truly temporary – it lasts only from the time the order is issued until ...

What Happens at an Emergency Custody Hearing?

In an emergency custody hearing, a judge hears preliminary evidence and addresses emergency situations only. She may ...

How to Reverse a Sole Custody Order in Missouri

Provided the existence of certain conditions, a parent can be successful in reversing a sole custody order in the state ...

Parental Visitation Rights in New Jersey

Public policy in New Jersey holds that both parents should be regularly involved in their child's life. When one parent ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED