Florida 1.540 and Denial of Due Process in a Divorce

By David Carnes

A divorce is a civil action. As in all civil actions, the parties involved have a Constitutional right to due process of law – the requirement that government take the actions necessary to ensure individual legal rights are protected. One of the ways Florida protects due process is by application of Florida Rules of Civil Procedure 1.540, which allows an aggrieved party to petition for the reversal of a judgment, decree or order, including a divorce decree, based on mistake or fraud.

Due Process

"Due process of law" is a concept that originated in English common law and can be succinctly described as fundamental fairness of judicial process. It includes the right to petition a court for redress of grievances, right to call witnesses and right to face one's accuser. The Bill of Rights requires the federal government grant citizens and non-citizens due process of law. Due process was applied to state governments through the 14th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution and has since been included in the statutory and constitutional law of every state.

Florida Rule 1.540

Rule 1.540 protects due process by allowing aggrieved parties to dispute and potentially obtain reversal of "final" judicial actions, including divorce decrees that are unfair either because of innocent mistakes, such as clerical errors, or because of culpable misconduct, such as negligence or deliberate fraud. You don't have to be a party to a divorce action to benefit from Rule 1.540. Anyone adversely affected by a judicial action, such as a minor child of divorced spouses, may file a petition for reversal of a judicial action under Rule 1.540.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More


Evidence establishing fraud or mistake incidental to a judicial proceeding is not enough to reverse a judicial action under Rule 1.540. You must also establish "prejudice." This requires presenting evidence showing it is more likely than not that the judicial action you are protesting would not have occurred absent the fraud or mistake. For example, if custody of a minor child was awarded to a father who concealed evidence of an addiction to pornography, you must establish that if the evidence had surfaced during the custody hearing, the court probably would not have awarded custody to the father.


In addition to showing prejudice, a petitioner under Rule 1.540 must show that he was damaged by the judicial action he seeks to overturn. In Romero v. Romero, a divorced wife sought to set aside a property settlement using Rule 1.540. Although she successfully established that her husband had failed to disclose the existence of stock options that had been awarded to him and although the trial court determined the stock options were marital property, the appeals court denied her motion to set aside the property settlement because she failed to establish her claims that if she had known about the stock options, she not only would have claimed half, but she would have also exercised and sold them then used the proceeds to pay her mortgage.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Can You Take Your Spouse to Court if You Are Still Married?


Related articles

Arizona State Laws: Title 13 Custody for Unwed Mothers

Arizona state law clearly outlines the requirements for parental custody. The legislature grants unwed mothers custody of a child without any legal action. These rights allow the unwed mother to make decisions regarding the child's living arrangements and welfare without consulting the child's biological father. This custody arrangement can later be challenged by a paternity action or court action for custody.

The Custody of Kids When Not Married in Mississippi

In most states, when an unmarried woman gives birth, she automatically and legally has sole custody of her child. Mississippi is no exception. When a married woman has a child, the state presumes that her husband is the father. In legal terms, “presumes” means that it is true until proved otherwise to a court's satisfaction. If the woman is not married, her child has no presumed father. Her child’s biological father therefore has no rights unless he takes steps to correct the situation.

Can an Open Drug Case Affect Child Custody in GA?

A parent's illegal drug use can factor into custody and visitation determinations in Georgia. The degree to which a criminal court case can negatively affect a parent's access to his or her child often depends on whether the drug case is currently open, or ongoing, and whether sufficient time has elapsed since any previous drug charges. The extent to which a parent has been cooperative in rehabilitation programs will also be an important consideration when deciding custody arrangements.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Can You Re-Open Your Divorce Case in Florida?

Divorces allow couples to move on. For that reason, Florida recognizes that the conditions existing at the time of ...

If the Wife Filed for Divorce, Who Will Get Custody of the Kids?

Of all the issues attached to divorce, none can be quite as emotionally draining as a child custody dispute. If the ...

Reasons to Vacate a Divorce Decree in Oregon

Once a judge has signed your divorce decree, it's usually a done deal.. While it's possible to vacate a divorce decree ...

How to Contest a Will in Kentucky

The will of a Kentucky resident must be probated in the district court of the county in which the person lived in at ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED