Florida Laws on Interference With Custody & Visitation

By Shannon Johnson

There are many actions that can be viewed as interference with child custody in Florida. Not allowing your minor child to exercise court ordered visitation with the other parent or keeping a child longer than the time specified in the parenting plan are both considered interference with child custody. Kidnapping and certain types of interference with child custody can result in criminal charges. Parents charged with either offense might have a couple of defenses to assert. In circumstances where interference with child custody is handled by the family law courts, judges will have a number of remedies available to address the situation.


Most instances of parental interference occur when a parent refuses to abide by the visitation schedule set out in the parenting plan. For example, withholding visitation or refusing to allow the minor child to speak with the other parent on the phone is interference. This type of parental interference with custody is handled by family law courts. Parents whose rights are being denied can file an emergency motion or motion to enforce. There is a level of child interference with custody that will result in criminal charges. For instance, parents who knowingly or recklessly take a minor child for an extended amount of time without lawful authority might face third degree felony charges and a possible prison sentence.


Child kidnapping occurs when a parent forcibly, secretly or by using threats takes or imprisons a child against the child’s will, outside of the authority granted by a parenting or custody plan. An example of child kidnapping is where a parent shows up at a child’s sporting practice, forcibly removes the child, and takes the child to an unknown location. Kidnapping is a first degree felony punishable by imprisonment.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More


A parent charged with interference with custody or kidnapping has two defenses. The first defense is that the removal of the child or keeping the child away from the other parent was necessary to preserve the child from danger. The second defense to a charge of interference or kidnapping is that the minor child was being exposed to domestic violence or the parent charged with custody interference or kidnapping was fleeing a domestic violence situation.

Legal Options

Even though Florida law prefers that both parents play an equal role in a minor child’s life, a lot of parenting plans identify a primary residential parent. A parent who is being denied visitation or phone contact can seek relief by filing a motion in family law court. Two common motions used in this situation are a motion for contempt and a motion to enforce parenting plan. Motions for contempt ask the court to penalize the non-compliant parent for failing to adhere to the parenting plan. A motion to enforce the parenting plan is less combative and geared toward requesting relief from the custodial parent's interference.


A judge can employ a number of remedies when a parent refuses to honor the details laid out in a parenting plan. Extreme interference that results in parental alienation can be the grounds for a judge to modify a parenting plan. Judges can switch the primary residential parent, liberally extend visitation and telephone contact, or make changes to substantial portions of the visitation schedule. Less severe remedies imposed by judges may include temporarily increasing visitation to make up for lost time.

Child Support

A common myth is that failure to pay child support is justification for denying a parent visitation. Child support and visitation are separate issues. The custodial parent cannot deny the noncustodial parent visitation because he is not paying child support. Likewise, the noncustodial parent cannot withhold child support because the custodial parent is denying him visitation.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
What Are the Causes of Supervised Visitation of a Child in Missouri in a Divorce?



Related articles

New York State Supervised Visitation Laws

Supervised visits in New York are ordered by a county Family Court or Supreme Court when a visit with a non-custodial parent -- the parent who doesn't have custody -- could be physically or psychologically dangerous for the child. The number of requests for supervised visits has risen greatly in recent years, as more and more cases of domestic violence, child abuse and neglect flood the court system. If you worry that your child is at risk during visits with his non-custodial parent, you can petition the court for an order of custody and visitation. The court has the authority to order supervised visitation if it approves the petition.

Kansas Visitation Laws

Frequent and continuing contact between a child and both of his parents is of great importance after divorce. This contact is known as visitation in Kansas, and knowing what your rights are as a parent will help ensure your relationship with your child continues after divorce. However, in some cases, the courts will limit a child's contact with one or both parents to ensure the safety and welfare of the child.

What Happens at an Emergency Custody Hearing?

In an emergency custody hearing, a judge hears preliminary evidence and addresses emergency situations only. She may enter a temporary order granting custody to one parent based on the facts of the emergency. State laws vary greatly with regard to the circumstances under which an emergency hearing may occur as well as the procedure for a hearing. Some states, for example, hold the hearing in front of a judicial officer; in other states, the hearing is before the judge.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Divorce Laws on Blocking Contact With a Minor Child in Colorado

Divorce law in Colorado doesn't take kindly to a parent who interferes with another parent's court-ordered visitation ...

Child Custody Laws in the State of Tennessee for a 12-Year-Old

Establishing a custody arrangement is a required step for all divorces involving minor children. Under Tennessee law, a ...

Divorce Law & Visitation Statutes in Georgia

Although there may be no such thing as a perfect divorce, most states attempt to achieve that ideal, at least where ...

Pennsylvania Laws on Third Parties & Child Custody

In Pennsylvania, parents have a right to spend time with their child after a divorce. This may be at odds, however, ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED