What Is the Grace Period for Child Support?

By Beverly Bird

There is no universal grace period, or set number weeks or months you can go without paying before the law begins pursuing you for child support. State law, not federal law, governs child support, so depending on where you live, you might have more time than other parents. Some collection methods begin sooner than others.

Credit Reporting

A method commonly used by states to encourage parents to pay past due child support, or child support “arrears,” is to report them to credit bureaus. This blemishes their credit and prevents them from securing new loans. Nebraska will do this as soon as you fall $500 behind. Oklahoma and Vermont will wait until your arrears reach $1,000. How soon you might risk this penalty depends not only on the laws in your particular state, but on the amount of your regular child support payment. For example, if your obligation is $250 a week, you risk credit reporting in Nebraska after only two weeks. In other states, you might have a month.

Interest Accrual

Many states will begin charging interest on your unpaid child support balance after a certain period of time. The exact amount of time depends on state law. Illinois will begin charging 9 percent interest when a parent is 30 days in arrears. However, in other states, parents don't have this long. In North Dakota, interest begins accruing on the first day of the next month after the support was due. For example, if you have any unpaid balance on January 31, you’ll begin paying interest at the rate of 6.5 percent the next day in North Dakota, on February 1.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Tax Refund Interception

Parents who are past due on their support obligations also run the risk of having their tax refunds intercepted to satisfy their arrears. Interception of your state tax refund would depend on the laws of your particular state. The federal government gets involved with the interception of IRS refunds. Under federal law, your past due balance can be seized from your IRS refund when it reaches $500. If your child’s other parent receives Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, or TANF, you can only fall $150 behind. Most state guidelines mirror IRS rules, but some are more lenient. For example, Nebraska won’t take your state tax refund until you are both $500 in arrears and at least three months behind.

Special Circumstances

Some states have special provisions for members of the United States military when they’re called away on active duty. In Oklahoma, active duty service members receive a child support grace period of two months. Most states require that all child support payments go through their collection units so the government can keep track of arrears. However, others may allow you to pay support directly to your child’s other parent. In this case, the state can’t monitor your delinquency and begin collection efforts against you until your ex notifies the court that you’ve fallen behind. She would do this by filing an enforcement motion against you, so you’d have as much time to catch up as it takes her to file.


Your child support obligation is not necessarily a permanent thing if you’ve suffered a significant change of circumstance that prevents you from paying it. You have the right to file a motion with the court, just as your ex does if you fall behind. You can ask the court to reduce your payments or for other consideration to allow you to catch up. The sooner you do this, the less likely it becomes that your state will begin taking enforcement measures against you.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
California Laws on the Interception of a Tax Refund for Child Support Arrears


Related articles

Will Child Support Still Be the Same If the Child Turns 18 & I Still Owe Arrears?

Although child support law varies from state to state, every child eventually reaches the point where you no longer have to pay regular child support. This may be a specific age, such as 18 or 21, or it may be a combination of age and having finished high school or college. Regardless of your state's emancipation laws, you'll have to keep paying if you still owe arrears when the child ages out.

Child Support Arrearage Laws for Oregon

In 2009, Oregon began taking a notably tough stance against parents who willfully refuse to pay child support; the Department of Justice arrested 21 non-custodial parents and subsequently collected more than $530,000 for their families. If you owe child support arrearages, although incarceration is usually Oregon's last resort to convince you to pay up, it can happen. Judgments for child support in this state are enforceable for 35 years after the date of your divorce decree, if your decree includes provisions for child support. Otherwise, the time begins running from the date of your support order.

Colorado Rules for Wage Garnishments

When you cannot pay your debts, some of your creditors may seek to garnish your wages, receiving a portion of your paycheck before you get it. Though Colorado has not created its own garnishment limitations, federal law places some limits on what your creditors can do. Additionally, bankruptcy can discharge some of your debts and stop the garnishments.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Child Support Laws on Back Payments in Michigan

Michigan makes it hard for non-custodial parents to fall behind in their child support obligations because most child ...

Does Pennsylvania Take My Federal Tax Refund for Child Support?

All states, as well as the federal government, protect the well-being of children when their parents divorce. Parents ...

Social Security Benefits in Lieu of Child Support Payments

Despite all the emotion involved, divorce is ultimately a numbers game. Marital property must be valued and divided, ...

Penalty for Non-Payment of Child Support in Texas

Divorce doesn't end a parent's responsibility to support his children financially, so when a court orders child ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED