Grace Period for a Default Divorce in Missouri

By Elizabeth Rayne

Courts want to give both spouses an opportunity to provide their sides of the story during divorce proceedings, but if one spouse is unresponsive, the other may receive a divorce by default. While Missouri law does not have a specific "grace period" for default divorces, a spouse may ask the court to cancel a default divorce within a reasonable time if he had a good reason for failing to show up or respond to the court documents.

Petition for Divorce

In Missouri, you may initiate the divorce process by filing a petition with the court. The petition will include information about the marriage, grounds for divorce and requested terms of the divorce, such as property division and child custody. After you submit the petition, the court will issue a summons, which is a legal document that lets your spouse know he must respond to the petition. You must serve both the petition and summons on your spouse, meaning it must be delivered by the sheriff or an adult other than yourself. If you cannot find your spouse, you may serve him by publishing notice of your petition in a local newspaper as required by the court.

Answer and Default

After your spouse receives the summons and petition, he has 30 days to answer, responding to all of the allegations and requests made in the petition. However, if your spouse fails to file his answer in time, the court may grant a default judgment for divorce. With a default judgment, it is assumed your spouse agrees to the requests made in the petition. The court will hold a default and inquiry hearing where the court will review the petition, and if the unresponsive spouse does not show up, the court will finalize the divorce according to the terms requested.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Setting Aside Default

In some cases, a spouse may ask the court to "set aside" the default judgment, meaning the judgment is canceled and the spouse will have an opportunity to respond to allegations in the petition. However, the court will only set aside the judgment if the request is made within a reasonable time and a satisfactory reason for failing to respond to the original petition is given. While it is up to the discretion of the court to determine if the spouse had a good reason, Missouri courts have set aside default judgments when a spouse did not properly serve the petition or misled the spouse into believing the divorce was already settled.

Service by Publication

While a spouse can ask the court to set aside a default judgment if he did not receive the divorce paperwork, exceptions apply if service was accomplished by publication. If you cannot find your spouse and must serve him by publication, your spouse will have 45 days to respond. If after 45 days your spouse has not responded, you may ask the court for a default judgment. Because your spouse was not personally served, you may only receive a limited default judgment, generally limited to dissolving the marriage and awarding child custody. You may not receive child or spousal support unless you find your spouse and personally serve the petition.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Divorce Decrees in Oklahoma


Related articles

How to Get an Annulment in Arizona

An annulment is the legal recognition by an Arizona court that a marriage is void. In Arizona, an annulment is granted if the marriage was void from the beginning or, according to the Arizona Revised Statues, an impediment existed that caused the marriage to be void. For example, if you were already married at the time of your marriage or underage, these would be considered grounds for annulment in Arizona. To receive an annulment in Arizona, you follow the same procedure as filing for divorce.

How to Serve Divorce Papers Under Massachusetts State Law

Divorce is the termination of a marriage by court order. The person who wants a divorce starts a court action that ends with a state court judge signing a judgment ending the marriage. Massachusetts, like other states, has rules and procedures you must follow to obtain a divorce through its courts. The courts do not have the power to decide the case until after the complaint has been filed and the summons has been served.

How to File for Divorce With No Money

If you would like a divorce but have very limited financial means, you may be able to file the necessary papers without paying the court fees. Most civil courts have provisions that allow the indigent to carry out some basic legal procedures. Every jurisdiction has its own guidelines for waiving fees. Carefully follow the instructions provided by your local court clerk for this process.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Alabama Divorce Via Default

Whether you cannot track down your spouse or he is completely unresponsive to your divorce complaint, you may still ask ...

How to File for an Annulment in Illinois

As with a dissolution of marriage -- the legal term for divorce in Illinois -- an annulment is a way to end your ...

Can You Just Not Do Anything in a Divorce if You Are the Respondent?

Your spouse is required to serve you with divorce papers after she files for divorce, including her divorce petition, ...

Responding to a Summons & Complaint Divorce in Texas

A complaint for divorce is called a petition in Texas, while a summons is called a citation. The state's rules for ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED