What Happens After a Legal Separation Is Filed?

By Mary Jane Freeman

Whether a couple can file for legal separation depends on state law. In those states that make legal separation available, the process is often similar to divorce. The couple can enter into their own separation agreement or let the court resolve their marital issues, such as property division and child custody. Once a separation decree is issued, the spouses' lives are officially separate. For spouses who later decide to divorce, they can often convert their legal separations into a divorce.


Although state laws vary, after filing a petition for legal separation in local court, the next step is to notify the other spouse. This is known as service of process. Typically, this responsibility falls on the petitioner -- the spouse filing for legal separation. Generally, the petitioner can have legal separation paperwork served by a process server, local sheriff or other adult who is not a party to the case. If the spouses filed a joint petition for legal separation, they might be able to skip this step, depending on the laws of the state.


Once the respondent spouse receives the legal separation paperwork, he is usually required to submit a response to the court within a set period of time. In his response, he can notify the court of his agreement or disagreement with the separation terms requested by his spouse, such as property division, child support and custody. If the respondent fails to answer the separation petition, the court is likely to enter a default judgment of separation in favor of the filing spouse. This means she is likely to receive everything she requested in her petition.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Separation Agreement

If both spouses are in agreement with the terms of their separation, such as how they will split property and whether one or both parents will provide a home for the children and make decisions concerning their upbringing, the spouses can enter into a separation agreement. If approved by the court, the terms are incorporated into a separation decree, becoming a court order legally enforceable against both spouses. Spouses who live in states that do not offer legal separation, such as Florida and North Carolina, can also enter into such agreements; however, these agreements are typically treated as private contracts and not converted into court orders.


If a couple is unable to reach an agreement, the terms of separation are left up to the court to decide. However, some courts may require the spouses to participate in mediation before the court determines the terms of the separation. As with a divorce, courts decide marital issues based on state law. To determine property division, courts follow either the community property or equitable distribution method. In community property states, such as California, the court divides marital property equally between spouses. Equitable distribution states, such as Indiana, divide marital property in a manner that is fair and just, but not necessarily equal. If spouses have children, the court will also determine legal and physical custody, which it may award to one or both spouses. Physical custody is the right to provide a home for a child and legal custody is the right to make important decisions about his upbringing, such as religion and education. The court will choose the custody arrangement that serves the best interests of the child. In addition to property and custody issues, the court also establishes child support and spousal support orders if necessary.

Conversion into Divorce

After a couple is granted a legal separation, many states will allow them to convert the separation into a divorce if they later decide they want to terminate the marriage. However, some states may place limitations on legal separations. For example, in Indiana, legal separations only last for one year. Therefore, a separation must be converted into a divorce within that time.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to Become Legally Separated From a Spouse



Related articles

Is a Divorce Decree Supposed to Be Signed by the Petitioner & the Respondent?

Ending a marriage involves terminating a personal relationship as well as a legal one. To obtain a legal divorce, one spouse must file paperwork with the court where he resides requesting the dissolution of the marriage. This can be done with or without the involvement of the other spouse. Depending on the kind of divorce, the final divorce decree will either be signed by one or both parties.

How Long Do You Have to Wait After Legal Separation to Finalize a Divorce in Colorado?

The process of getting a legal separation in Colorado is similar to the steps required to obtain a divorce. Once a Decree of Legal Separation is finalized, the spouses' responsibilities regarding property and debt division, spousal maintenance, child support and custody are established, just like in a divorce case. However, with a legal separation, the spouses remain married. Spouses sometimes choose this route for religious or economic reasons. If a divorce is desired later, either party may convert the separation into a divorce after six months have passed.

Do I Have to File My Legal Separation With the Court?

Married couples may choose to legally separate for a number of reasons. Whatever those reasons may be, however, legal separation is very different than simply living apart. Sometimes, married couples physically separate before filing for divorce -- that is, they choose to live in different residences without going to court. This type of separation doesn't have the legal significance that legal separation has because a legal separation must be filed with a court.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Separation vs. Divorce in Michigan

When spouses decide to end their relationship, they can either terminate their marriage through divorce or divide their ...

Can You Be Legally Separated and Live in the Same Home?

Legal separation is one of those terms in divorce law that varies from state to state. It may mean that you filed a ...

Indiana Laws for Separation Before Divorce

Indiana law provides couples with two options if they want to end or change their marital relationship: dissolution of ...

What Is a Unilateral Divorce?

Unilateral divorce describes a divorce in which one spouse terminates the marriage without the consent of the other ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED