What Happens If You Get Behind on Child Support Payments?

By Marilyn Lindblad

If you've lost your job or suffered a financial catastrophe, chances are that you're barely able to make your child support payments. You might even have fallen behind on them. Unlike credit card and car payments, paying child support is a legal obligation backed by court order. While each state has its own child support enforcement methods, many of the penalties imposed for falling behind on payments are similar from state to state.

Levies and Garnishments

If you fall behind on your child support payments, the state may collect child support from you from a variety of income sources. For example, the state can garnish your wages, levy your bank accounts and seize your tax refunds and lottery winnings until your child support obligation is once again current. In some states, the agency responsible for child support enforcement may issue a wage withholding order to your employer for ongoing support. Once in place, your child support payments are deducted from your paycheck, even after you get caught up on any past due arrearages.

Other State Action

Individual states have various ways of motivating parents to stay current with their child support payments. Until you get caught up, your state may withhold or suspend any state-issued licenses you hold, such as a license to practice law or a driver's license. In extreme cases, such as a case where you have the money to pay support but refuse to out of spite, a judge can hold you in contempt of court and even jail you for disobeying the child support order.

Ready to start your LLC? Start an LLC Online Now

Financial Consequences

Your state may report your slow child support payments to a credit bureau, resulting in a reduction in your credit score and negative entries on your credit report. Many states also add interest charges to past due support. If you want to buy a house, your lender may require you to bring your payments current before they will approve your mortgage application and close the deal. In many instances, the judgment against you for child support can be collected several years after your children are grown, and you cannot discharge a child support judgment in bankruptcy.

Modifying Support

Courts acknowledge that a family's needs and circumstances change over time and allow parents to change their child support arrangements to meet those changing needs. If your financial circumstances have changed for the worse, you can ask the other parent to voluntarily reduce your child support payments. If you and your former spouse reach an agreement on new support terms, you would then submit the agreement, in writing, to the court that established your most recent child support order for review and approval. If you and your ex-spouse are unable to reach an agreement, you may file a motion to modify support directly with the court. If the judge grants your motion, the court will enter a new order establishing the revised child support amount. In some states, you also have the option of seeking modification through your local child support enforcement agency.

Ready to start your LLC? Start an LLC Online Now
How to Dispute a Child Support Reporting on a Credit Report


Related articles

Can Child Support Suspend Passports?

Following a divorce or failed relationship that produced a child, support is often ordered by the court. The noncustodial parent is required to contribute to the financial support for the child by making payments to the parent with custody. The United States Child Support Enforcement Program is a partnership between the federal, state, local and tribal governments that was created to make it easier for the difference government bodies to enforce child support payments. CSE uses several methods to force delinquent parents to make payments, including revoking your passport.

What Happens When a Bank Charges Off Your HELOC After a Chapter 7 Discharge?

If you file for a chapter 7 bankruptcy, you are asking a federal court to protect you from collection actions and lawsuits over debt. The result of a successful bankruptcy is the discharge (cancellation) of debts that can legally be discharged. If your debt includes a home equity line of credit, and the court discharges that HELOC, you may still have to deal with the lender's claim on your home.

Laws on Child Support Arrears in Nevada

Nevada’s laws on child support payments, including arrearages, are covered in Chapters 125B and 130 of Nevada Revised Statutes. While state agencies are available to help, you may wish to consult with an attorney if you have questions about how these laws apply to your specific situation.

LLCs, Corporations, Patents, Attorney Help LLCs

Related articles

Will a Post-Bankruptcy Car Payoff Show on My Credit Report?

If you are like most debtors filing for bankruptcy, you are behind on your rent, credit card bills and car payments. ...

Can I Travel to Europe if I Owe Child Support?

Adults are usually free to travel wherever they like – unless they want to leave the country and they happen to be ...

Penalties for Child Support Arrears in California

Falling behind in child support payments under a divorce order can lead to the initiation of enforcement proceedings ...

Child Support Help for Men

If you are presently not living with the mother of your children, you may be dealing with child support issues. If you ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED