What Happens When You Change Your Name with Social Security but Not with Work?

By Jennifer F. Bender

A person can change his or her name for a number of reasons, including marriage, divorce, and naturalization. Once a new name has been adopted, both the Social Security Administration and and one's own employer should be notified of the name change. Failure to notify the employer may result in problems with the recording of the individual's earnings.

Social Security Administration

To report a name change to the Social Security Administration, an individual must obtain the original marriage license, divorce decree, certificate of naturalization showing a new name, or a court order showing the name change. The individual must also fill out an application for a new Social Security card. He or she must submit these documents along with identification showing the former name, such as a driver's license or passport, to the Social Security Administration, who will then issue a new card with the same number but the new name within 10 days.


An employee with a name change needs to inform his or her employer so that wage information can be correctly sent to the Internal Revenue Service and the Social Security Administration. Most employers do not require proof of the name change such as a marriage, divorce or court document. They will require that the employee fill out a new W-4 form documenting the name change for their employee files. If the employer does not receive the name change information, it will continue to send earning reports to the Social Security Administration under the employee's old name.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More


An employer submits payroll information to the Internal Revenue Service and Social Security Administration each pay period using employee names. If an employee's name does not match up between the employer and the Social Security Administration's records, then wages may not be correctly attributed to the worker. The SSA will question the discrepancy and call or send out letters to the employer for clarification. This could also lead to a discrepancy in what the employee is entitled to receive in Social Security benefits later in life.

Tax Returns

If a person does not notify one's employer of his or her name change, an issue may also arise with the submission of year-end tax returns to the Internal Revenue Service. If the employer and Social Security Administration have different earnings recorded in their systems for an individual, then these numbers will not match up with the employee's year-end tax return. This will cause the agencies to send letters or call the employee questioning the validity of his or her tax return. This can hold up any refunds owed to the employee until the earnings can be reconciled.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to Legally Change Your Name After Marriage in Ohio


Related articles

Advantages & Disadvantages of a Name Change

People change their names for a variety of reasons such as divorce, marriage or an unpleasant-sounding given name. Before changing your name, think carefully about the effect your name change might have on your professional reputation and personal relationships. Once your name is changed, you will no longer be able to use your old name in government and legal documents and will permanently be known by your new name.

Can an Ex-Wife Get Retirement Pay From the Husband if He Retired After the Divorce?

Courts divide marital property -- including retirement benefits -- when a couple divorces. Even if a spouse has not yet retired, the divorce court can divide both the assets in his retirement account and pension benefits he owns at the time of the divorce. However, courts do not typically reopen a divorce case once one spouse retires to give a portion of his retirement to the other spouse.

Can You Change Your Name When You Enlist in the Army?

Just because you enlisted in the army with a particular name doesn't mean that you're stuck with that name for your entire service period. If your name changes due to marriage, divorce or another reason, you simply need to submit a name change request to your commanding officer and supply the relevant supporting documents. Once approved, your military records will reflect your new name. However, if you change your name after you leave the army, you will not be able to make these changes on your military records.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Ohio Health Insurance to a Spouse Post-Divorce

Families often receive health insurance as part of a group plan through one spouse’s employer, but when the spouses ...

Does a Name Change Affect an Employee Background Check?

Whether you have divorced, married or completed a voluntary name change, a background check will still show any ...

Divorce Laws and State Pension Plans in Oklahoma

Oklahoma state employees may qualify for state-administered retirement plans, including the Oklahoma Public Employees ...

Federal Retirement Benefits for Divorced Spouses

Divorce can impact various types of retirement benefits, making some retirement savings accounts eligible for division ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED