What Happens if a Divorce Respondent Doesn't Answer in Missouri?

By Beverly Bird

A spouse might refuse to acknowledge divorce papers for any number of reasons. He might hope that if he ignores them, they'll go away. He might mistakenly believe that if he doesn't respond, he can block the divorce. In Missouri, neither of these assumptions is true. If the respondent doesn't answer a petition for divorce, the divorce will happen anyway, sometimes with very unfavorable consequences to him.

Time to Respond

Under Missouri law, the respondent – the spouse on the receiving end of the petition for dissolution of marriage – has 30 days to act to protect his interests after he's served with the paperwork. At some point during this period, he must file an answer with the court if he wants to object to anything his spouse is asking for in the petition, such as custody, parenting time, support, debt division or property distribution. His answer serves as notice to the court that he wants to be actively involved in deciding these issues. If he doesn't file an answer, this tells the court he's in agreement with everything his spouse has asked for, and the court no longer has any legal obligation to include him or serve him with notice of any aspect of the divorce proceedings.

Requesting Default

After 30 days, the petitioning spouse has the right to proceed with an uncontested divorce if the respondent doesn't answer. She can file a "default and inquiry" request with the court and the court will schedule the matter for a final hearing. A copy of the request must be delivered to the responding spouse, just as the divorce petition was served on him. This is effectively his last opportunity to take action.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Default Hearing

At the default hearing, one of two things will occur. The respondent might appear and ask to be heard on the issues, even though he didn't file an answer. Missouri courts typically won't grant a default divorce if this happens. The judge might order a continuance of the proceedings, giving the respondent additional time to file his answer so the divorce can move forward along normal channels. If he doesn't appear, the court is likely to award the petitioner everything she asked for in her petition for dissolution. However, she's limited to requesting things she mentioned in that initial document. She typically can't appear at the hearing and suddenly ask for alimony because her spouse never responded and he can't defend himself against the request.

Respondent's Recourse

Missouri law allows a defaulting respondent one year to attempt to undo the damage that occurred when he didn't answer the divorce petition. He can file a motion with the court during that time, asking the judge to set aside the default and effectively start the divorce over again, this time with his participation. If he acts within a year, and if he has a compelling reason for having not answered the petition, the court may vacate the default. After a year's time, however, it's unlikely his motion would be successful.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
What Happens in Minnesota If a Divorce Becomes Defaulted?


Related articles

What Is a Summons With a Notice of Divorce?

Spouses can't file for divorce in secret. The other spouse must be notified of the proceedings so he can properly represent both himself and his interests. As a result, spouses who file for divorce must ensure a summons is delivered to the other spouse, which informs him of the divorce case and how to proceed.

Can You Just Not Do Anything in a Divorce if You Are the Respondent?

Your spouse is required to serve you with divorce papers after she files for divorce, including her divorce petition, or complaint, and a summons. Generally, the summons lists deadlines for you to respond to the petition or provides scheduling information for your initial appearance in court. If you choose to ignore the summons, the court still may enter a judgment against you.

What Happens if I Ignore Divorce Summons Papers in New York?

The ostrich-like tactic of burying your head in the sand never works in a divorce situation. Depending on the extent of your marital property and whether you have children, ignoring a divorce summons in New York can cause big problems you can’t easily undo. New York law makes it relatively simple for your spouse to go ahead and get a divorce without your cooperation.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

What to Do If Your Spouse Filed an Uncontested Divorce & You Did Not Know?

A divorce doesn't start out as uncontested – it ends that way. In most states, uncontested simply means that spouses ...

Can I Be Divorced & Not Have Papers?

In some circumstances, it’s possible that you could be divorced and not even know about it because you never received a ...

Can the Opposing Party File for Decree of Divorce?

An opposing party in a divorce case is called the respondent, because he responds to the initial petition that begins ...

Grace Period for a Default Divorce in Missouri

Courts want to give both spouses an opportunity to provide their sides of the story during divorce proceedings, but if ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED