What Happens if I Ignore Divorce Summons Papers in New York?

By Beverly Bird

The ostrich-like tactic of burying your head in the sand never works in a divorce situation. Depending on the extent of your marital property and whether you have children, ignoring a divorce summons in New York can cause big problems you can’t easily undo. New York law makes it relatively simple for your spouse to go ahead and get a divorce without your cooperation.

Service of the Summons

After your spouse files for divorce, she has four months to officially have the documents served on you. In New York, if you don’t agree to accept the papers and sign for them, this usually means a process server will deliver the papers to you personally. Your spouse’s papers will include the summons, telling you of your right to respond, and either a notice or a verified complaint. A notice is a condensed version of the complaint, telling you that your spouse has filed and what she’s asking a judge to award her, such as custody of your children, spousal support and all the marital property.

Your Right to Respond

After the process server gives you a copy of your spouse’s divorce documents, he will file his own paperwork with the court, confirming the date when he did so. You now have 20 days to respond. If your spouse filed in New York, but you don’t also live there, you have 30 days. If you received a notice, you can file a simple document called an appearance, letting the court know you want the opportunity to address the things your spouse has requested. If she filed a complaint, you should speak with a lawyer or other legal professional to draft a verified answer to the complaint, which specifies in detail the things you want the court to give you.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Default Judgment

If you ignore the summons, your spouse can ask the court to enter a default judgment against you 40 days after your time to answer has expired. If you don't act, your spouse will appear before a judge at the end of those 40 days, as soon as the court can schedule a default hearing. She can explain to the judge why she should receive everything she asked for, and because you haven’t participated, the judge will most likely grant her requests. The judge will sign a default divorce judgment. It becomes a final order, possibly denying you custody, visitation rights and your share of marital property, if these are the things your spouse requested.

Remedies After Default

If your spouse receives a default judgment, you have a very short period of time in which to try to have it set aside. You can file a motion with the court, asking the judge to vacate or undo the judgment. However, the longer you wait, the less likely it is that you will be successful. You’d have to convince the court that you had a very good reason for not responding to the summons, such as that you were out of the country or incapacitated. You would also have to prove why your spouse should not have received all the things she asked for. Even if you’re successful, your spouse has the right to appeal the judge’s decision to vacate the judgment, so it might become a drawn-out legal battle.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Default Judgments in Kansas in a Divorce


Related articles

What Can You Cite in a Divorce Besides Irreconcilable Differences?

Before a court will grant you a divorce, you've got to present a valid reason why your marriage should end. This reason is considered your "grounds" for divorce. All states recognize some version of no-fault grounds for divorce, too. In these instances, you do not have to blame your spouse for wrongdoing in order to terminate your marriage. Irreconcilable differences is a common no-fault ground, but it’s not available in all states so you may have to cite something else instead. The majority of states offer fault grounds for divorce while the remaining states and the District of Columbia are "pure" no-fault jurisdictions.

How to Get a Divorce When One Spouse Won't Agree

No one can stop you from getting a divorce if you want one, with the possible exception of the court. If you don’t follow proper legal procedure, a judge can deny your divorce, forcing you to start over. Your spouse can't stop you, but she can complicate the process.

What Is a Counterclaim for Divorce?

When your spouse serves you with divorce papers, the worst thing you can do is nothing. If you don't respond, you run the risk of having the judge grant your spouse everything she asked for in her petition or complaint for divorce. You could find that you've lost custody, or a fair division of your marital property. You have a choice regarding how to answer your spouse's divorce papers, and a counterclaim offers you the most protection.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How Do I File a Response to Divorce Papers?

The emotion of a divorce is often further complicated by the legal labyrinth you find yourself trying to navigate after ...

Ways to Respond to Divorce Summons in North Carolina

No matter where you live, when your spouse serves you with a divorce summons, it's possible to do nothing at all. ...

How Long Do You Have to Wait to Get a Divorce in DC?

If you want your divorce case to move quickly, you and your spouse should try to come to an agreement regarding all ...

What to Do If Your Spouse Filed an Uncontested Divorce & You Did Not Know?

A divorce doesn't start out as uncontested – it ends that way. In most states, uncontested simply means that spouses ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED