What Happens to My Kids if I Die Without a Will & I Am Divorced?

By Beverly Bird

No one wants to think about dying and this may be particularly true when you have young children. However, preparing for your death is the best way you can protect your children from any legal fallout that may result from it. If you don’t leave a will, you'll entrust their fate to decisions made by an impersonal court.

Non-Custodial Parent

If your ex is still living and he is your children’s biological parent, and if he comes forward to take custody of your children when you die, the court will almost always place your children with him. In legalese, this is the “parental right doctrine.” Unless he’s unfit or incapacitated, a parent always has the first right to his children before any other third party. This can be especially problematic if your ex is not the natural parent of all of your children. In such cases, the court may separate siblings and give custody to each of their biological parents.

Third-Party Guardian

If your children’s other parent predeceases you or his whereabouts are unknown, the court will name someone else as their guardian. If you’ve remarried and your children have a stepparent, if he’s willing, the court may allow your children to continue living with him. Laws vary from state to state and not all states will automatically place children with a family member, even if they are a grandparent, aunt or uncle. Judges weigh placement based on the best interests of the children. Your kids might have a close and loving relationship with your parents, but if your parents are elderly, the court might decide they’re not up to caring for them, especially if they're very young. A judge might instead name someone with whom your children would rather live. Some states, such as Colorado, will allow your children a say in the matter if they’re teenagers.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Custody Disputes

In a worst-case scenario, your children’s other parent may be unfit. He may have a drug or alcohol problem, or a lifestyle that’s not conducive to raising children. In this case, your family or someone else close to you would have to petition the probate court to overrule the parental right doctrine and name them as guardians. This effectively gives them custody, but it could mean a difficult court battle if your children's other parent resists. The individual who petitions for guardianship must usually have “standing” to do so, meaning the court recognizes he has some right to intervene. Laws defining standing vary from state to state.


When you die without a will, your property also becomes an issue. Your state’s intestacy laws take over and the court will distribute your assets to your next of kin based on an order of succession. Generally, spouses inherit first followed by children. If you’re divorced and have not remarried, this means all your property will go to your children. If they're minors, the probate court will also have to appoint a conservator for them, as well as a guardian. A conservator is someone who manages their financial affairs until they come of age. If your ex is still alive and gets custody when you die, the court will probably name him as their conservator. This means your ex now has control of everything your worked for and acquired during your lifetime. He would have to report to the court yearly regarding the status of your children’s finances and their inherited assets, but this may be small consolation. If he doesn’t handle the inheritance wisely, your children may have nothing left by the time they reach the age of majority.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Custody of a Minor Child When the Natural Parents Die


Related articles

Dad's Rights to Sole Custody

Fathers had few rights in custody battles in the 20th century. That changed somewhat in the millennium. However, the change takes the form of courts being willing to at least consider giving a father sole physical custody, with his children living with him and having minimal contact or visitation with their mother. Fathers still face an uphill battle in actually achieving sole custody of their children.

What Happens to a Revocable Trust When the Trustee Dies?

The laws surrounding revocable living trusts are made somewhat confusing by overlapping terminology. The names grantor, trustmaker, trustor, settler and trustee all refer to the same person, the creator of the trust. This is because, unlike with an irrevocable trust, he maintains control of the assets he places into it. He can sell them, add others, or remove them for his personal use. As manager of the trust, he is the trustee, at least until his death.

What Happens to My Minor Child if I Pass Away & I Am Divorced?

A parent may legally name a guardian in a last will and testament to care for a minor child after his or her death. After a divorce, parents frequently become concerned over the fate of a minor child if they pass prematurely. Generally, a surviving parent is considered a minor's natural guardian. Therefore, with some exceptions, a parent who outlives an ex-spouse has first rights to raise their minor children. This applies regardless of whether the surviving parent has custody and regardless of whether any wills were made.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Does a Father Have Rights Even if the Will Gives Guardianship to the Grandparents?

Fathers’ rights almost always trump grandparents’ rights, regardless of what the custodial parent’s will says. Although ...

Rights of a Legal Guardian if the Child Is a Trust Beneficiary

Estate planning becomes more complicated when young children are involved. Minors can't legally take control of their ...

What Are My Rights if My Parents Died & My Brother Is the Executor of the Will?

The death of both parents can be a devastating, life-changing event for minors or adult children. Having a sibling ...

Laws About Inheritance at a Father's Death in Georgia

Title 53 of the Georgia Code governs the administration of wills, estates and trusts. This code also covers the laws of ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED