What Happens to My Minor Child if I Pass Away & I Am Divorced?

By Maggie Lourdes

A parent may legally name a guardian in a last will and testament to care for a minor child after his or her death. After a divorce, parents frequently become concerned over the fate of a minor child if they pass prematurely. Generally, a surviving parent is considered a minor's natural guardian. Therefore, with some exceptions, a parent who outlives an ex-spouse has first rights to raise their minor children. This applies regardless of whether the surviving parent has custody and regardless of whether any wills were made.

Parental Rights

An order of custody following a divorce does not, in itself, terminate a non-custodial spouse's parental rights. However, courts can hold separate proceedings to terminate parental rights for things such as child abuse or neglect. In such cases, if a custodial parent leaves a will naming someone other than the ex-spouse as guardian, the court will likely honor the appointment.

Parental Abandonment

If a former spouse outlives a custodial parent, she may lose her rights as a minor child's caretaker if she abandons her child. A guardian appointed by the surviving parent is generally recognized in such circumstances. No formal termination of parental rights proceedings are usually required. The act of abandonment is usually enough to allow a non-parental guardianship.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Last Will Controls

Courts always consider a spouse's will for purposes of guardianship appointment. Therefore, all parents should consider making wills and name a guardian therein. For example, suppose Mary, who has custody of her three-year-old son Jake, names her sister, Jane, as guardian of Jake in her will. At the time of Mary's death, her ex-husband, Bob, can step up and provide a good home for Jake. But if Bob should also die while Jake is a minor and doesn't leave a will appointing a guardian, the court may then look back to Mary's will and give preference to Mary's sister, Jane, as guardian.

State Involvement

If an ex-spouse is unable to care for a child and no will exists appointing a guardian, the state steps in after the death of a parent. Volunteering family members are preferentially considered as guardians as long as they are fit to provide care. Otherwise, state foster care programs and court-appointed guardians or adopting parents will tend to the child's needs.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Custody of a Minor Child When the Natural Parents Die


Related articles

Does a Father Have Rights Even if the Will Gives Guardianship to the Grandparents?

Fathers’ rights almost always trump grandparents’ rights, regardless of what the custodial parent’s will says. Although there are exceptions to the rule, a surviving parent has an automatic right to custody when the other parent dies. This right prevails unless he waives it, or the nominated guardians can present a compelling reason why his child should live with them instead.

Custody Laws for Underage Parents in Pennsylvania

In an effort to provide family court judges with clearer guidelines when making custody decisions, Pennsylvania made a few changes to its child care laws in January 2011. These changes were aimed at ensuring both parents had equal rights to custody, regardless of gender. However, in reality, when a baby is born to teen parents, a custodial precedent is created that might be hard for the father to overcome.

The Rights & Responsibilities of a Temporary Guardian in Arkansas

A temporary guardian is a person appointed by the court to play the legal role of a child's parent, when parents are unable to do so. A court may appoint a temporary guardian when a parent is incarcerated, temporarily too ill to care for the child or after a parent dies. In Arkansas, guardians have many of the same rights and responsibilities of parents. The guardian must relinquish the child to the parent at the end of the term of guardianship if the order of guardianship orders her to do so.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Legal Guardianship in Wisconsin

A guardian is a person or organization appointed by a court to exercise care, custody and control on behalf of a ward ...

Do Guardianship Papers Overrule Custody?

Differentiating between custody and guardianship can be complicated because they are essentially the same thing. One ...

Does the Mother or the Father Have Legal Guardianship of an Adult Child?

When a child turns 18, she is an adult under the law and any previous guardianship or custody orders cease because ...

Transferring California Parental Rights Upon Death

When a divorced parent dies, the existing custody arrangement can cause problems if her family and ex-spouse don't get ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED