How to Get Heir Property in Your Name if There Is No Will

By Marie Murdock

So, your parent or relative has died without a last will and testament, leaving you as sole heir or as joint heir with other relatives. If no estate planning provisions were made for property to pass into your name immediately upon death, then the laws of your state as well as the desires and wishes of other heirs, may influence how -- or if you acquire full ownership rights in the decedent’s property.

Small Estates Affidavit

Some states provide for the transfer of estate property by the filing of a small estates affidavit. This small estates process is often used to transfer a vehicle title or other personal property from the decedent’s name into the name of the legal recipient or recipients. The estate will have to meet certain criteria that state law has established to qualify, including a minimal estate value, with certain states requiring that no real estate is involved. A surviving spouse, child or other relative who is entitled to the decedent's property is generally required to file the affidavit. Some states require only that the completed appropriate affidavit be presented to the holder of personal property of the deceased, while others require the affidavit be filed with the court. Complexity of the small estate process varies from state to state. It may be necessary to familiarize yourself with the laws in the state of residence where the deceased lived.

Intestate Estate Action

If the estate included real estate or other assets of substantial value, or if your state does not provide for the small estates process, a full administration may be required. The state law in which real property is located will determine who is entitled to inherit the property of a deceased who died intestate or without a will. A person entitled to receive property of a deceased will generally petition the probate court for letters of administration. If you are the administrator, these letters will authorize you to administer or manage the assets of the decedent, including transferring property into the name of the rightful heirs, upon order or authorization of the court.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan

Heirship Affidavits

If you are the sole heir or if all heirs are in agreement regarding the disposition of the decedent’s real property, particularly if a few years have passed since death, some states may provide for the filing of heirship affidavits with the probate court which will state the names of all heirs at law of the deceased. Generally, affidavits will be required from at least two people who are not interested in the outcome of the estate, but who are familiar with the family of the deceased. Once heirship has been established in this manner, the remaining heirs, provided they are legally able and willing to do so, may execute a deed to you conveying all their interest in the property. If you are the sole heir, the property will generally have passed to you upon the death of the decedent, subject to debts of the estate. In this instance, heirship affidavits filed in the real property records for the county where the property is located will put the public on notice as to your ownership of the property.

Court Action for Division

Depending on the circumstances or if a dispute arises as to property ownership, a court action may be required to divide or clarify ownership of the decedent’s property. If there were mistakes in prior deeds so that the property cannot be accurately described or if there are previously undisclosed or illegitimate heirs who come forward to claim a share, a court action may be necessary to determine ownership of the property.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan
How to Transfer a Deed to a House if the Owner Dies Without a Will



Related articles

How to Get Out of Inherited Joint Property Held With a Non-Spouse

When a parent or relative dies, he may leave several heirs who jointly inherit his entire estate, including any real estate. Without a provision in a last will and testament specifying which heir gets what property, the real estate will be inherited in undivided interests to be held by the heirs generally as tenants in common. Any change in ownership of the inherited property will either be by agreement of the heirs or by court order, subject to the terms of any will.

What Can I Do if a Will Is Not Probated From My Mother's Estate in Texas?

A will provides the drafter with the most control over the distribution of her assets at death. However, in order for the will maker's wishes to be carried out, the will must be probated within the time frame specified by Texas law. If not, estate property will pass according to a set of state rules that prioritize heirs based on their legal relationship to the deceased. While these rules are fairly rigid, heirs may still have some say in how the inheritance is distributed, provided they can all agree.

How to Transfer Real Property After Death in the State of Florida

You may be the surviving spouse or child of someone who died owning real estate in Florida. Whether you desire to keep the property or sell it, proof of transfer of ownership is often required. How property transfers after the owner has died may depend on how the deceased person acquired the property and whether or not she left a last will and testament.

LegalZoom. Legal help is here. Start Here. Wills. Trusts. Attorney help. Wills & Trusts

Related articles

When Someone Dies, How Is the Estate Settled?

State law governs probate process and procedure, whether the decedent died with or without a will. Probate takes place ...

The Transfer of Property Deed Upon a Spouse's Death

One spouse may handle all business and financial transactions during a marriage, including the acquisition of property. ...

What Is the Heir of a Deed?

Deeds transfer property. An heir inherits property from a deceased property owner. Inheritance situations usually ...

Proving Heirship in California Probate

When a person dies, his heirs may be entitled to a share of his assets. However, potential heirs must first convince ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED