How to Get the Heir Removed as an Executor in Virginia

By David Carnes

An executor is the person responsible for administering the estate of a deceased person during the probate process. Normally, the probate court appoints the person named in the will as executor. Often this person is also named as a beneficiary in the will and an heir to estate property. If you suspect the executor is abusing his authority or you wish to have him removed for another reason, Virginia law allows you to petition for his removal.


To file a petition for removal of an executor, Virginia law requires you notify all "interested parties," in writing, of the petition. Interested parties include the executor himself, beneficiaries of the will and creditors of the estate. You don't have to notify the executor if he is deceased or has already resigned. If the executor is a corporation, notification is unnecessary if the corporation is bankrupt or its corporate charter has been revoked. If an interested party is a minor, you must arrange for a representative, known as a guardian ad litem, to be appointed to represent his interests in court and notify his guardian ad litem, in writing, of the petition.

Petition for Removal

A petition for removal of an executor must state "good cause" for removal and ask the court to appoint a substitute executor. Good cause may include death, resignation, bankruptcy, revocation of charter, fraud, self-dealing, gross negligence, or failure to perform his duties. It must be drafted in the same format as other court motions and include the name of the case and case number at the top of the document. The petition must be filed with the probate court administering the estate, which is typically the court with jurisdiction over most of the estate property. There is no filing fee. The court will schedule a hearing on the matter at which time, you, the executor, and all interested parties, including the guardian ad litem, can call witnesses and present evidence in support of, or opposition to, the petition.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan

Alternative: Show Cause Proceedings

An executor must file an inventory of estate assets with the probate court and file periodic reports detailing his acts with respect to estate assets. If he fails to do so, the Commissioner of Accounts may notify the executor in writing that he must file these documents with the probate court within 30 days of issuance of the notification letter. If he fails to do so, the court will issue a "show cause" summons requiring the executor to appear in court and explain why he should not be held in contempt of court. At this point, the court has several sanctions available to it, including removal of the executor. Accordingly, an alternative to filing a motion for removal is to prompt the Commissioner of Accounts to act instead.

Appointment of Successor

Virginia law requires a successor executor named in the will to be appointed by the court to replace a removed executor, provided the successor executor is qualified. To qualify, he must consent to the appointment, be a legal adult and mentally competent. Otherwise, the court will appoint an estate administrator, with priority given to a beneficiary, or someone nominated by a beneficiary.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan
Reasons to Remove an Executor in PA


Related articles

How to Find Out if the Executor of an Estate Cashed Insurance Checks

The executor of an estate is accountable to the beneficiaries, heirs and estate creditors for his administration of the estate. He must inform these parties, as well as the probate court, of his actions on behalf of the estate. Although the executor is charged with day-to-day administration of the estate, the probate court holds ultimate authority and may intervene if the executor acts inappropriately.

Who Enforces the Execution of a Will?

In drafting your will, you may appoint a person to serve as your executor, also known as a personal representative. This person will have the responsibility of carrying out your wishes pursuant to the will. Because the executor has a number of responsibilities and can be held personally responsible if they are not properly carried out, carefully consider appointing someone who is trustworthy and capable of carrying out the somewhat complicated probate process.

Will and Probate Requirements in Kentucky

When a person dies in Kentucky, most of the property in his estate passes through the state's probate process. During probate, the executor -- the person named in the deceased's will to administer the estate -- collects the assets and dgtermines their value. The deceased's will must be authenticated before the property is distributed to the beneficiaries as instructed in the will. Certain assets, including property owned jointly, life insurance policies and any property in trust, can avoid probate and will pass automatically to the named beneficiaries.

LegalZoom. Legal help is here. Start Here. Wills. Trusts. Attorney help.

Related articles

Duties of the Executor of a Will in Texas

Wills often nominate an executor to administer the deceased’s estate after he dies. Once officially appointed by a ...

Can an Executor of a Will Give a Power of Attorney to Someone From Prison?

The executor of an estate possesses only those powers granted to him under a will and by state law. A power of attorney ...

What Happens When an Executor of a Will Doesn't Carry Out What the Will Asks For?

A last will and testament represents the final wishes of a deceased person, and laws are in place to ensure that the ...

What Happens if an Executor Refuses to Probate?

An executor has a duty to act in the best interest of the estate, and refusing to probate an estate may be cause for ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED