What to Do When Your Husband's Attorney Is Not Responding to the Divorce

By Jennifer Williams

Divorce can be frustrating and stressful enough, without the process bogging down due to an unresponsive opposing counsel. The court process for divorces is comprised of very specific stages. If your husband's attorney does not respond during any or all of these stages, your case stalls. If you don't have your own lawyer to force a response from his fellow lawyer, there are options that you can exercise yourself.

Compel a Response

If neither you nor your husband can't get his attorney to respond, it may be time to get the court involved. If the attorney fails to respond to a deadline or to produce requested information, after the deadline has passed, you may file a motion to compel his response. A motion to compel asks the court to tell the unresponsive attorney to follow through and produce the required documents.

Call a Conference

A motion for status conference is another way to bring the court's attention to the attorney's unresponsiveness. Generally, any party to a case may file such a motion. Once at the conference, the judge takes a look at the case's progress and orders the case to proceed to the next phase by a certain date.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Sound the Alarm

You may file a motion with the court asking for emergency relief at any point after the petition for divorce is filed. If your spouse's lawyer becomes unresponsive, filing a motion for emergency support is a way to get the attention of your spouse, his attorney and the court. An emergency motion for relief tells the court you need immediate help, in the form or spousal or child support or additional support, or even insurance coverage or attorney's fees. It's important to tell the court you need this emergency help because your spouse is not cooperating in moving the divorce toward closure, which means he must remedy the financial or other damage his non-cooperation has caused you. Such motions also should include a request for reimbursement of the attorney's fees incurred in bringing the motion, as it would not have been necessary, and the fees not incurred, if your spouse and his attorney were actively pursuing the divorce.

Mediator Involvement

If you've started negotiations for property division, support and children's issues, but your spouse's attorney's failure to respond to settlement offers has stalled the process, you might ask to the court to order mediation. In some states, such as Florida, the law requires judges to order mediation, but even states that don't require it allow you to ask for it. Generally, courts feel it saves time and money, for both the litigants and the court system, for issues to be decided by the spouses rather than for the divorce to go to trial. If the court grants your motion for voluntary mediation, the mediation becomes court-ordered and your spouse, and his attorney, must comply or risk being held in contempt of court.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
What to Expect From an Opposing Divorce Lawyer


Related articles

What Should You Do When a Divorce Lawyer Does Not Respond?

When your lawyer stops communicating with you about your case, it increases the stress and anger of divorce. If you've hired a lawyer to represent you, you should at least have the peace of mind of knowing that a professional is in your corner. If your lawyer does not respond, there are steps you can take to re-establish communication and keep your case on track.

Can I Reopen a Dismissed Divorce in California or Do I Need to Start All Over?

If your divorce is dismissed in California, that means you must refile, unless the dismissal was caused by your or your attorney's mistake, inadvertence, surprise or excusable neglect. If your divorce was dismissed because of one of these four reasons, you may have the option to reopen your case rather than incurring potentially hundreds of dollars to file a new petition, pay a new filing fee, re-serve your spouse and prepare your documents for a second time.

Income Discovery in Family Law Cases

If you and your spouse are divorcing, you usually have only one chance to get the terms right. If you agree to a settlement or a judge orders provisions in a decree, both events are based on the financial information available to you or the court at the time. If certain information is unknown, you typically can't go back later and renegotiate your deal or request a new trial. This is where discovery comes in – it's the phase of divorce proceedings when facts are gathered so you know exactly what you're dealing with. Based on the information you receive, you can make educated decisions regarding a settlement -- or the judge can do so in a decree.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

What Happens When Your Spouse Disappears in the Middle of Your Divorce and Is Represented by Counsel?

It's possible for a spouse to disappear midway through divorce proceedings, especially if he doesn’t want the divorce. ...

Divorce Attorney Consultation Questions

With a few exceptions, most divorce lawyers can adequately get the job done. The vast majority of divorces never go to ...

Motion to Reinstate a Divorce Complaint

Deadlines and mandatory court filings can complicate the divorce process, especially when you’re representing yourself ...

What Happens If My Lawyer Quits in a Divorce Fight?

When you sign a retainer agreement with your divorce attorney, you enter into a business relationship with him for the ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED