IRS Filing Rules for 501(c)(5)

By Elizabeth Rayne

Section 501(c)(5) of the Internal Revenue Code provides a tax exemption for labor, agricultural and horticultural organizations. This exemption is awarded to organizations whose primary purpose is to improve the conditions of those engaged in labor, agriculture or horticulture, or improve the products or efficiency in these areas. In order to be recognized by the IRS as a 501(c)(5), the organization must take a number of steps to demonstrate its exempt purpose.

Creating the Organization

Before filing any forms with the IRS, your organization must first establish a board of directors, bylaws, mission, and file articles of incorporation with the state. The board will determine the overall direction of the organization and draft bylaws and a mission that is in line with its exempt purpose. A 501(c)(5) does not have to be organized as a corporation, but it is required to have a board of directors. Further, articles of incorporation must be filed with the secretary of state in compliance with the state laws where the organization is located.

Labor Organizations

To receive exempt status as a labor organization, the organization must be an association of workers who have joined together to collectively bargain with their employer to improve their working conditions, wages and similar benefits. Although labor organizations may pay accident, sick, death and other benefits to individuals because it improves the workers' overall working conditions, no single member may gain any benefit that affects him alone.

Get a free, confidential bankruptcy evaluation. Learn More

Agricultural and Horticultural Organizations

Exempt organizations under the category of agriculture and horticulture include associations that participate in activities such as conducting soil tests for members, promoting cooperative agricultural activities, and other activities that better the conditions of those engaged in agriculture or horticulture. In contrast to labor organizations, agricultural and horticultural organizations may not provide welfare or financial aid to any member of the organization under any circumstances.

Filing Form 1024

Once the organization has been formed, and you have determined you fall under the exempt category of either labor organizations or agricultural and horticultural organizations, you may file for 501(c)(5) status by completing Form 1024. If you do not already have an Employment Identification Number (EIN) for your organization, you must apply for one on the IRS website. The EIN will be used to identify your organization on all IRS forms. In filling out Form 1024, you must demonstrate that your organization is exempt under 501(c)(5) by explaining how your activities are in line with the IRS's definition of labor or agricultural and horticultural organizations. Further, you must submit detailed information about the organization's finances and show how these are used to further your mission. Once submitted, the IRS may take several weeks up to several months to recognize your organization as exempt.

Required Filings

After the IRS recognizes an exempt organization, the 501(c)(5) must file an annual 990 form, with updates on the activities and finances of the organization. If not filed, the organization may face penalties or ultimately lose its 501(c)(5) exempt status. Further, exempt organizations are required to pay income on any "unrelated business income" that is not substantially related to its exempt purpose.

Get a free, confidential bankruptcy evaluation. Learn More
Non-Profit C4 Vs. C3


Related articles

What Is a 501 C 7 Corporation?

Provided the Internal Revenue Service guidelines for exempt status are met, individuals that choose to organize around a shared social interest may operate as exempt social clubs. This IRS designation is available for people who share a particular purpose, so long as the organization is supported by member fees and dues. In addition, some contact among members is required, and no club may discriminate against certain protected classes.

Requirements to Maintain 501C3 Status

More than 100 501(c)(3) organizations lose their exempt status every year, according to the Nonprofit Risk Management Center. The Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(3) is a provision in the federal tax code, which allows certain nonprofit organizations, including charities, churches, educational institutions and other organizations that meet the requirements to be exempt from certain taxes. The IRS regulates and regularly reviews exempt organizations to ensure that they are following the regulations and that the organization continues to do the work that led to its exempt status. Failing to follow the guidelines can lead to fines and, in some cases, the loss of 501(c)(3) status.

How to Start a 501C3 Nonprofit Ministry

Charity work is often part of a church's activities -- and some churches may choose to expand their charitable work by forming an independent nonprofit ministry. A 501(c)(3) organization is a nonprofit entity formed under state law and granted tax-exempt status by the IRS under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. To qualify for exemption from federal income tax under IRC section 501(c)(3), your ministry must operate and organize exclusively for religious, educational, scientific or other charitable purposes.

Related articles

What is the Difference Between a 501C3 & 501C4?

Many nonprofit organizations are created for the purposes of providing some benefit to the public. Depending on the ...

How to Start a Nonprofit Group for a Class Reunion

If you are responsible for organizing a class reunion, you have the option to set up the reunion as a nonprofit ...

What Is a 501C Non Profit?

Many nonprofit organizations pursue 501(c), or exempt, status from the Internal Revenue Service for tax benefits, and ...

How to Incorporate as a 501(c)(6)

Section 501(c)(6) of the Internal Revenue Code provides a federal tax exemption for business leagues, chambers of ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED