IRS Instructions for a Business Name Change

By Tom Streissguth

If you change the legal name of your business, then as the owner, partner or corporate officer, you are authorized to file the name change with the Internal Revenue Service. How you complete this filing, and which form of notice you use, depends on what type of business you're running.

Step 1

Write a letter to the IRS processing center where you sent your tax return, if you are the owner of a sole proprietorship. Give the old and new business names, as well as your tax identification number, which can be either your Social Security number or an Employer Identification Number. Give the date the business name change went into effect. .

Step 2

Check the name change box, Line 3 G, on your Form 1065, if you are running a partnership and are filing a current-year Return of Partnership Income form. If you are not filing the 1065, the notification takes the same form as a sole proprietorship's: you simply write a letter to the processing center that handled your return. One of the partners must sign the letter.

Get help changing your legal name. Learn More

Step 3

Check the name change box if you are filing a tax return for a corporation, either Form 1120 or 1120S. On the Form 1120, the name change is indicated on page 1, Line E, box 3. On the 1120S, the same box is found on page 1, Line H, Box 2. If the return has already been filed, notify the IRS with a letter, which must be signed by an officer of the corporation.

Step 4

Write a business letter to the IRS if you have an LLC that pays taxes as a sole proprietor. Use the name change box on Form 1065, 1120 or 1120S if you are taxed as a partnership or corporation.

Get help changing your legal name. Learn More
How do I Get an Illinois State ID Number for an LLC Company?


Related articles

How do I Report Income From an LLC?

A limited liability company, or LLC, is a “hybrid” type of business organization that combines the limited liability benefits of a corporation with the pass-through taxation and relaxed reporting requirements of a partnership. The LLC is a creation of state legislatures, and the Internal Revenue Service does not explicitly recognize LLC’s for the purposes of federal taxation. Depending on the status of your company, the IRS classifies LLC’s as a sole proprietorship, partnership or corporation. Understanding how your LLC is classified for federal taxation purposes is important to knowing how to report your LLC’s income.

How to Notify Florida Department of Revenue of a Company Name Change

If your company does business in the State of Florida, you need to notify the Florida Department of Revenue when you change the company's name. This ensures that the state has the proper name for tax purposes. You might have problems with your tax accounts if the state has the incorrect name. You can notify the Department of Revenue with a one-page form.

How to Change the Fiscal Year for a Corporation in Massachusetts

If you decide to change a fiscal year for your Massachusetts corporation, and the change involves an amendment to your company's articles of organization, you must submit the change to a vote of shareholders. In Massachusetts, the law requires a majority vote of stockholders for any change in the articles of organization. You must also notify the state's revenue department, if you are operating a non-profit corporation.

Doing the right thing has never been easier.

Related articles

How to Change an LLC Filing as an S Corp to a Sole Proprietor

A limited liability company, or LLC, is a business structure defined by state law which protects its members from ...

How to Change the Name of an LLC With the IRS

A limited liability company, or LLC, is a form of business association that combines the pass-through taxation and ...

How to Form an LLC in Wyoming

Wyoming law permits the creation of limited liability companies, or LLC’s. A Wyoming LLC combines the limited liability ...

How to Fill Out a W-9 for an LLC Disregarded Company

The Internal Revenue Service treats a single-member Limited Liability Company as a disregarded entity for federal ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED