Kansas Visitation Laws

By Wayne Thomas

Frequent and continuing contact between a child and both of his parents is of great importance after divorce. This contact is known as visitation in Kansas, and knowing what your rights are as a parent will help ensure your relationship with your child continues after divorce. However, in some cases, the courts will limit a child's contact with one or both parents to ensure the safety and welfare of the child.

Residential Custody

For practical reasons, and to reduce disruption in the child's life after divorce, a child often resides primarily with one parent in Kansas. The other parent typically has some overnights with the child, which might include weekends and holidays. In this case, both parents are said to have joint residential custody of the child. If parents live in close proximity and have an amicable and cooperative relationship, the court may be willing to grant what is known as a shared residential custody arrangement. This term means that both parents enjoy equal overnights or near equal blocks of time with the child.

Visitation Explained

Courts in Kansas also have the option of ordering sole residential custody to one parent. This is often the case when the other parent has either been absent from the child's life or has some mental illness preventing him from being able to adequately provide for the child's needs. Although the parent without custody does not have the child live with him, that parent is usually provided some access to his child through court-ordered visitation. In Kansas, the court can defer to the parents to work out a reasonable schedule for visitation, or a judge can fashion an order spelling out the terms for contact.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Supervised Visition

In cases where the potential for harm to the child is great, such as if a parent has a history of domestic violence or sexual abuse, the court may deny that parent access completely or order supervised visitation. Supervised visitation means that contact with the child is done in the presence of another adult, such as a social worker or court officer.

Enforcing Visitation

Once a court has ordered that a parent have reasonable visitation rights, the other parent must respect these rights. If the parties cannot reach agreement regarding a schedule for contact, the court may order that the parties attempt to reach a resolution through mediation. If the residential parent refuses to abide by the agreement or court-ordered schedule, a judge can hold that person in contempt, which can result in loss of parenting rights as well as sanctions, such as paying the other parent's attorneys and cost of mediation.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Laws for Custody Battles in Kansas


Related articles

New York State Supervised Visitation Laws

Supervised visits in New York are ordered by a county Family Court or Supreme Court when a visit with a non-custodial parent -- the parent who doesn't have custody -- could be physically or psychologically dangerous for the child. The number of requests for supervised visits has risen greatly in recent years, as more and more cases of domestic violence, child abuse and neglect flood the court system. If you worry that your child is at risk during visits with his non-custodial parent, you can petition the court for an order of custody and visitation. The court has the authority to order supervised visitation if it approves the petition.

An Example of a Child Custody Schedule

Continued contact with both parents after divorce is important to a child's development. Unless there has been substantiated abuse by one parent, most courts will allow the family to establish their own custody or visitation schedule. The most common child custody schedules take into account the child's school schedule, parents' work times and transportation issues.

Child Custody Law in Maine

Going through divorce is never easy, especially when you have to sort out child custody issues with your soon-to-be ex-spouse. In Maine, you and your spouse are free to come up with your own parenting agreement; however, if the two of you are not on amicable terms or simply can't agree on one or more custody issues, the court will make custody determinations for you.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Divorce Laws on Blocking Contact With a Minor Child in Colorado

Divorce law in Colorado doesn't take kindly to a parent who interferes with another parent's court-ordered visitation ...

Alabama Laws for Enforcement of Child Visitation

Following a divorce, many parents are awarded visitation, which is referred to as "access" in Alabama. If you are being ...

Parental Visitation Rights in New Jersey

Public policy in New Jersey holds that both parents should be regularly involved in their child's life. When one parent ...

How to Change Joint Custody When the Non-Custodial Parent Leaves the State in Arizona

Divorces represent an opportunity for couples to move on. For some, this process involves physically relocating to ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED