How to Keep a Spouse From Emptying a Bank Account Before Divorce Papers Are Filed

By Jennifer Williams

Divorce is stressful and sometimes causes people to act out of character. Even if you trust your spouse to keep his head in the face of pending proceedings, it is still a good idea to protect your share of joint accounts before he has a chance to clean them out. You can take steps to protect your cash assets and preserve joint investment accounts before filing for divorce.

Step 1

Identify all joint accounts, including checking and savings accounts, money market accounts and credit card accounts. Collect all statements reflecting the balance of each account. Keep these documents as evidence of the pre-divorce account balances.

Step 2

Open an individual bank account and transfer into it half of the balance of all joint checking and savings accounts. Ask for statements of the joint accounts immediately preceding withdrawals, as evidence of pre-withdrawal balances, and statements immediately after the transfer reflecting the reduced balances. Ask for a statement of the new account reflecting the new balance immediately upon depositing the funds, as additional evidence of how much you took and what you did with it.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Step 3

Notify your spouse in writing of your withdrawals from joint accounts. Note the pre- and post-withdrawal balances and include copies of the pre- and post-withdrawal statements. Deliver the written notice to your spouse after you file for divorce if you do not want to alert him to the fact that divorce proceedings are imminent.

Step 4

Request statements from all joint investment accounts as evidence of pre-divorce balances. Request, in writing, that the account manager notify you in writing if your spouse liquidates investments or withdraws funds. Keep a copy of the written request and any notifications that result from it as evidence of your spouse's removal of assets.

Step 5

Give your attorney all account documentation and the written notice you sent your spouse at the beginning of the divorce proceeding. Your attorney may ask the court to freeze the remaining accounts and use your documents in support of the motion. If your spouse tries to liquidate and hide assets, your attorney may use these documents to prove pre- and post-liquidation balances and ask the court to award you additional amounts in marital property to compensate you for the excess money your spouse took from joint accounts.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Can a Bank Turn Over a Bank Account to a Sole Heir Without Probate?


Related articles

What Are the Duties of the Executor of a Last Will & Testament?

An executor is the individual who oversees and settles the estate of a deceased person. The will of the deceased person names the executor, who may be an heir, family member, attorney or any other person selected by the deceased person. The executor is granted legal authority during probate, the legal proceeding used to validate a will.

How to Pass Financial Information to Heirs Upon Death

The period immediately following the death of a loved one is often emotionally overwhelming for family and friends. In addition to experiencing a sense of loss and grief, your heirs may encounter confusion and stress related to the distribution of your personal property. Establishing a clear paper trail and enabling easy access to financial documents minimizes financial stressors for your survivors and ensures that your property is distributed according to your wishes.

How to Trace a Commingled Inheritance for a Divorce

The longer you’re married, the more likely you are to commingle or mix your legally separate property -- such as an inheritance -- with marital assets. The laws in every state exempt inheritances from distribution to your spouse in a divorce, but this is a sure thing only if you keep the asset consistently titled in your own name. This takes a concerted effort over time, especially with "liquid" inheritances, such as cash or investment accounts. Luckily, most states allow you try to undo your mistakes by creating a paper trail that proves the money was initially yours.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Are Savings Accounts Frozen During a Divorce in North Carolina?

As a spouse contemplating divorce in North Carolina, you are likely consumed by the necessary issues that must be ...

How to Close Bank Accounts for the Deceased Without a Will or Probate

You don't need wills or probate courts to close certain types of bank accounts when original title owners die. You can ...

How to Get a Power of Attorney Dropped

When you give another person a power of attorney, she becomes your agent and can act on your behalf in the matters you ...

How to Respond to a Divorce Complaint

You must respond to a divorce complaint to preserve your rights and have a voice in the proceedings. If you don't ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED