Last Will & Testament for a Single Person

By A.L. Kennedy

People who are single can benefit from writing a will, whether they are divorced, widowed or have never married. A will allows you to leave your property to the people or charities you choose. It also allows you to choose who will be responsible for wrapping up your estate, distributing your property and taking care of any minor children you have.


The legal term for dying without a will is intestacy, or dying intestate. When a person dies intestate, the probate court distributes her property according to the laws of the state where she died. For single people, intestacy laws usually mean that their property goes to their children, if any, then to their parents or siblings. If none of these people are alive, the deceased person's property may go to the state, according to the American Bar Association. Writing a will is one way to ensure your property passes to the people you wish to have it, instead of those chosen by law.

Providing for a Partner

A will can allow a single person to provide for a cherished partner, even if the two of you are not married, according to Lambda Legal. The law in most states allows you to leave your property to anyone you like, even if you are not related by blood or marriage, according to the American Bar Association. By creating a will, you can ensure that your partner will receive your property, including money, real estate and family heirlooms, when you die.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan

Providing for Children

If you are a single person with minor children, a will allows you to provide for them by setting aside money for their care, according to FindLaw. It also allows you to leave family heirlooms in their care. In addition, you may name a guardian in your will to take care of your children once you are gone. It is wise to ask the person you want to name as guardian whether he wants the job before you list him in your will. You may also want to name a contingent or backup guardian in case your first choice is unable or becomes unwilling to serve, according to FindLaw.

Choosing an Executor

Finally, your will allows you to choose the person who will carry out the instructions in your will when you die. This person, known as the executor or personal representative, works with the probate court to ensure that your last bills are paid and your property is given to the people you name in your will, according to the American Bar Association. Most people choose to name someone they trust and who has agreed to take on the job. If you die intestate or do not name an executor in your will, the probate court will name someone to serve as executor. This person may be a relative or a creditor, and may not be the person you would prefer.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan
How to Write a Will in Michigan



Related articles

How Many Successor Trustees Can Be on a Living Trust?

A living trust is a legal document that enables you to transfer property at your death without sending it through probate. If you create a living trust, you generally name yourself as the trustee, the person who manages the trust property. You appoint the person or persons to succeed to this position in the document.

Reasons to Set Up an Inheritance Trust

A trust occurs when property, in the form of money, real estate or some other valuable item, is overseen by one person for the benefit of another. When trusts are used as part of an inheritance, a trustee typically administers the trust either by protecting the assets for a set period of time, spending the assets on an itemized list allowed in a will, or distributing the assets to beneficiaries in set amounts. These trusts are technically called testamentary trusts, but may be referred to as inheritance trusts, and they are always outlined in a last will and testament. There are several benefits to bequeathing property in a trust fund rather than directly to the beneficiary. If you have substantial assets and are not sure how to distribute them, consult a lawyer for advice on the best way to set up a trust fund.

How to Divide Possessions When Making a Will

One of the purposes of a will is to ensure your assets are transferred to the people of your choice. Not all property you benefit from during your life may be transferred by a will. If you are a beneficiary of a trust, you cannot bequeath the trust property. If you co-own property in a joint tenancy or tenancy by entirety, you cannot leave your rights in the property to a beneficiary. If you own property as a life tenant, you cannot leave that property to a beneficiary. What property remains can be transferred through a will.

LegalZoom. Legal help is here. Start Here. Wills. Trusts. Attorney help. Wills & Trusts

Related articles

What Is Involved in Making a Will?

Your will is a legal document that explains how you want your property distributed after your death. If you have minor ...

How to Make a Will by Yourself

If you do not have children or do not have many assets, you may wish to write your own will. Courts in most states will ...

Guidelines for Writing a Will

Your will is a document that explains how your property should be handled after your death. Preparing your will can be ...

Iowa Living Trust Vs. Last Will

Iowa residents can use a last will, a living trust or both as part of their estate planning. Iowa has specific state ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED