What Do I Do When I Leave Out a Creditor in a Bankruptcy?

By Elizabeth Stock

When you file the initial petition for bankruptcy, you will complete a schedule that lists all of your creditors and the amount of debt you owe for each. Each creditor listed on your bankruptcy schedule is included in your bankruptcy case. Once you realize you have excluded a creditor from your petition, there might be a few things you can do to correct the omission. However, sometimes adding a creditor to a bankruptcy petition is impossible, and you might be left with a debt that survives your bankruptcy case.

Chapter 7 vs. Chapter 13

Eligible individuals can file for either Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy. Chapter 7 bankruptcy is a liquidation process that involves selling your property to raise funds to repay your creditors. A Chapter 7 bankruptcy is fairly quick, taking about four months to complete from the date you file your bankruptcy petition to when you receive the bankruptcy discharge. In contrast, a Chapter 13 bankruptcy creates a repayment plan that allows you to keep your property while you make monthly payments to the bankruptcy trustee to go toward your debt. Most repayment plans take three to five years to complete. Whether you file for Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy will affect your ability to add an omitted creditor to your bankruptcy case.

Non-Dischargeable Debts

A debt that is not included in your bankruptcy case will not receive a bankruptcy discharge at the conclusion of your case. A discharge means that the debt is no longer legally enforceable. For example, if the bankruptcy court refuses to let you amend your bankruptcy petition to include the omitted creditor, that debt will not be discharged. Therefore, you will still be responsible for repaying the debt and the creditor can enforce the debt by filing a lawsuit against you.

Get a free, confidential bankruptcy evaluation. Learn More

Amend the Bankruptcy Petition

You may be able to amend your bankruptcy petition to add an omitted creditor. An amendment to a bankruptcy petition allows you to add the excluded creditor and involves refilling the schedule that contains the omission. If you filed for Chapter 13 bankruptcy, you may not need to amend your entire bankruptcy petition. Rather, you can just add the forgotten creditor to your payment plan. If you have already received a Chapter 7 bankruptcy discharge, you might have trouble adding an omitted creditor to your bankruptcy case. However, you might be able to file a motion to have the case reopened to include the debt.

Reopening a Bankruptcy

You might be able to reopen a Chapter 7 bankruptcy case if certain circumstances exist. For example, Section 350 of the Bankruptcy Code allows the court to reopen a case to provide relief to a debtor. Courts have reopened bankruptcy cases to allow debtors to add omitted creditors in no-asset Chapter 7 cases in which the creditor was omitted without fraudulent intent. A Chapter 7 no-asset case means there are few to no assets to sell to raise funds to repay creditors. To reopen a case, you must file a motion with the court requesting the case be reopened and the reasons for such a request.

Get a free, confidential bankruptcy evaluation. Learn More
How to Amend a Discharged Chapter 7 Bankruptcy


Related articles

Can You Reopen a Bankruptcy Chapter 7?

Under Chapter 7 bankruptcy, most of your consumer debts are discharged by a court order within approximately six months from the filing of your petition. This discharge is important because it legally wipes away any claims that creditors have that you owe money on a debt so long as you identified the debt as part of your bankruptcy case. However, if you failed to identify a creditor as part of your case, you may be able to reopen the case under certain circumstances.

Can an Item Be Added to a Bankruptcy That Has Been Discharged?

Filing for bankruptcy means putting your financial life under a microscope. You must account for every dime you've earned in the last six months. You must identify everyone you owe money to, how much you owe them, and when you last paid them. Given this exactness of detail, it's no wonder debtors sometimes overlook pertinent bits and pieces. If you find you need to go back after your discharge to add a creditor to your bankruptcy petition, your ability to do so depends on when the debt was incurred and the nature of your bankruptcy case.

How to Do a Chapter 13 Dismissal

While a lot of thought and planning normally accompanies the decision to file for bankruptcy, you may ultimately decide you do not want to continue making the payments on your Chapter 13 plan.  Maybe your plan payments are higher than you anticipated, or perhaps a new job will allow you to pay your debts without the oversight of the bankruptcy court.  Regardless of your reasons, if you filed your bankruptcy under Chapter 13, obtaining a dismissal is a fairly straightforward process.


Related articles

How to Reinstate a Dismissed Bankruptcy

At the conclusion of your bankruptcy case, you typically will receive a bankruptcy discharge. A bankruptcy discharge ...

Are You Liable for a Debt Not Included in a Bankruptcy?

It's not uncommon for a person who files a petition for bankruptcy to overlook a debt he owes, perhaps to a credit card ...

The Effect of Not Listing Creditors on a Bankruptcy Filing

Although filing for bankruptcy offers financial relief, the process isn't stress-free. You'll have to chase down proof ...

How Long Before Debt is Discharged After Bankruptcy?

A bankruptcy discharge is available to you at the completion of your bankruptcy case. Your debt is erased when you ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED