Legal Actions if You Don't Pay a Divorce Settlement in Ohio

By Beverly Bird

When you reach a marital settlement agreement with your spouse, a judge will review the agreement, approve it and incorporate it into a final divorce decree. The terms of the agreement are as binding as if the judge ordered them after a trial. Like most states, Ohio’s legislation contains specific recourse for the injured party if one spouse doesn't abide by the settlement terms.

Contempt Proceedings

Your agreement might include an equitable distribution payment to your ex-spouse if you receive an asset that you can’t or don’t want to liquidate so you can give your ex her share of its worth. If you elect not to liquidate it, you can agree to make a cash payment to her in an amount equal to her share of its value. Most divorce settlement agreements include a specific date by which you’re obligated to make such a payment. If you don’t, your ex has the right to take you back to court. In Ohio, these proceedings are motions to show cause or motions for contempt. She must serve you with a copy of the motion, letting you know that she’s asked the court to enforce the terms of your agreement. The court will schedule a hearing and you’ll have to appear before a judge or magistrate to explain why you failed to perform.


After the judge hears your reasons for non-compliance, he’ll probably just instruct you one more time to do what your agreement obligates you to do. He may order you to pay your ex’s court costs or attorney’s fees because your refusal to comply forced her to spend money to get the court involved. If you have a legitimate reason for not performing, such as that you lost your job or couldn’t secure a loan to come up with the money, the judge might “continue” the matter to give you a little more time to straighten things out. He’ll schedule another court date in the future, at which time you’ll have to appear and show the court what further efforts you’ve made to comply. If you don’t have a legitimate reason for not performing and you still don’t comply after being ordered to do so a second time, the judge can and probably will probably hold you in civil contempt. In Ohio, this gives him the right to send you to jail.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Support Issues

If you're not making spousal support payments, your ex can file a motion with the domestic relations court asking that you be found in contempt of court. If you’re not making child support payments, your ex can notify Ohio’s Child Support Enforcement Agency in addition to filing a motion to show cause. Either the CSEA or the court can take steps to intercept your tax refunds or take other collection efforts against you to force you to pay.


If you can’t make a payment you’re supposed to make, speak with an attorney as soon as possible instead of waiting for your spouse to take legal action against you. It may be possible for you to file a motion yourself, asking the court to modify the terms of your agreement because of a change of circumstance that prevents you from complying. The court might either restructure your agreement or at least extend the deadline by which you have to perform. If you bring the problem to the court's attention rather than letting your ex do so, you may be able to avoid being charged with contempt.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
What Happens If You Don't Follow Divorce Paper Orders?


Related articles

Can You Go to Jail for Not Making Child Support Payments?

If you have been ordered to pay child support, perhaps as part of a divorce, then nonpayment can result in stiff penalties -- including jail time, in some circumstances. However, if you can’t pay your child support, you may have options to adjust the amount. Each state’s laws govern child custody and support in its own state, but all states enforce child support orders.

Not Obeying a Court Order in a Divorce Decree in New York State

Whether a decree incorporates the terms of a settlement agreement between spouses, or a court orders the decree’s terms after a divorce trial, they are equally binding. A spouse can’t simply ignore them -- at least not without risking potentially serious repercussions. In New York, failure to obey the provisions of a decree can result in jail time if a spouse doesn’t have a good reason.

What Is a Binding Contract for Divorce?

Whenever you sign something in the process of your divorce, it’s usually binding. Whether it is a contract depends on the nature of the document. A divorce complaint or petition is binding because you’re swearing to the facts it contains, but it's not a contract. Contracts obligate the signers to take or abstain from taking certain actions.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Collecting Divorce Settlement Money in Pennsylvania

Whether you’re divorced after a trial or because you reached a settlement agreement with your spouse, your decree ...

What Happens When Your Ex Breaks the Divorce Agreement in Georgia?

A divorce judgment or decree is an enforceable legal order. If your agreement is included as part of your decree, your ...

Will I Receive Notice to Vacate After a Bankruptcy Is Discharged?

Your landlord may not automatically evict you from your apartment just because you sought bankruptcy protection from ...

What Happens if an Ex-Spouse Breaks Divorce Decrees in Tennessee?

Tennessee is one of the more unforgiving states when someone defies a court order, including a divorce decree. ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED