How to Get a Legal Change of Name in Hawaii

By Marcy Brinkley

If you want to change your name in Hawaii, the way to go about it depends on why you are making the change. If the name change is part of a court case such as an adoption, a paternity case or a divorce, typically the judge will include the name change in the final order if you request it. When you marry, you can request that a new name be included on your marriage certificate. In most other situations, including correcting a marriage or birth certificate, changing the name of an adult or changing the name of a child when both parents agree, you must file an application with the Office of the Lieutenant Governor of the State of Hawaii.

Step 1

Download the appropriate packet of name change forms from the Hawaii Lieutenant Governor's website. Choose from six options, each categorized according to who is requesting the name change: an individual; a couple; a husband, wife and minor children; a minor with the notarized consent of the other parent; or a parent and minor children with the consent of the other parent.

Step 2

Read the instructions in the packet you have downloaded.

Get help changing your legal name. Learn More

Step 3

Review the forms in your packet. The packet includes a Petition, an Information Sheet, a Notice of Name Change and an Order. You can fill out the forms online before printing them. Forms must be typed. You may not print the forms, and then fill them out using a pen. Answer all the questions completely and honestly.

Step 4

Sign the Petition in front of a notary.

Step 5

Attach a certified copy of your birth certificate to the forms and place them in an envelope addressed to the Office of the Lieutenant Governor's Office. The address is included in the packet. Each packet also includes a checklist to help you determine if you also need to attach a marriage certificate or any other documents with your application.

Step 6

Mail the documents, along with a money order or cashier's check, to the Lieutenant Governor's Office. If you want to hand-carry the documents to the office, you may pay in cash. The address to hand-deliver the forms is also included in the packet.

Step 7

Mail or hand-deliver the Notice of Change of Name to the Lieutenant Governor. After the Lieutenant Governor signs it, he will return it to you. You must then publish it in a newspaper within 60 days of receipt. Choose any generally circulated newspaper; you need only publish it for one day. After publication, the newspaper will send an affidavit to the Lieutenant Governor's Office to prove that the notice was published. The Lieutenant Governor will then sign the Order and send it to you.

Step 8

Mail the original Order to the Bureau of Conveyances along with the filing fee.

Step 9

Take or mail the remaining four copies of the Order to the Social Security Administration, the Internal Revenue Service, your county's division of motor vehicles and any other agencies that need a record of your current legal name.

Get help changing your legal name. Learn More
How to Change a Baby's Last Name Legally


Related articles

How to Legally Change a Name in Louisiana

How to Change Your Legal Name in New Jersey

How to Change Your Name in California

Doing the right thing has never been easier.

Related articles

How to Change a Minor's Last Name in Ohio

How to Legally Change Your Name in Arizona?

How to Change a Child's Name in Texas

How to Legally Change a Child's Last Name in Texas

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED