How to Get Legal Guardianship of a Child While a Parent Is in Jail

By Brenna Davis

When a parent is arrested, a child's life is quickly thrown into disarray. If no one volunteers to be the child's guardian, the child may be placed in foster care. In most states, there is a strong presumption in favor of placing a child with a relative, rather than putting the child in foster care. Legal guardians are responsible for fulfilling the same duties that parents fulfill, such as ensuring the child attends school and tending to the child's medical needs, so guardians should ensure they are prepared to take on these responsibilities.

Step 1

Contact the agency in charge of foster care placement in your state. In most states, this agency is called Child Protective Services or the Department of Family and Children's Services. When another parent is not available to take custody of a child whose parent is incarcerated, CPS or DFCS often takes temporary custody. Notify them you are a relative or friend interested in seeking guardianship and ask about their procedure. In some states, guardianship must be approved by CPS and CPS may file the relevant court documents.

Step 2

File a motion for temporary guardianship in the family court of the county where the child currently resides. The petition must indicate the amount of time for which you are seeking guardianship. If you do not know when the parent will be released, state you are seeking guardianship until the parent is released. If you do not state a specific period of time, your state may grant you guardianship for a pre-set period such as a year or six months. This can result in unnecessary disruptions in the child's life.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Step 3

Answer any questions asked in the guardianship investigation. If the child already lives with you, the court may issue a guardianship order after a brief investigation. If the child does not already live with you, you will need to provide evidence you can provide the child with a stable home. The court may send a court-appointed special advocate, social worker or other expert to conduct an investigation of your home. If the child was previously in CPS custody, CPS may allow the child to live with you on a preliminary basis prior to formally granting guardianship.

Step 4

Present evidence that you can provide a stable, loving home at the hearing. Not all guardianship proceedings require a hearing, particularly if the child already lives with you or CPS has conducted an investigation. However, there will be a hearing in most cases. In all states, child custody decisions are made according to the child's best interest so you must demonstrate that living with you, rather than with another relative or in foster care, is in the child's best interests. You must demonstrate that you can provide both financial and emotional support and your home is a safe environment. If someone else is seeking guardianship, you must provide evidence that your home is a better choice. You may submit any evidence and call any relevant witnesses. Only a judge can grant temporary guardianship so you must go through the legal process of seeking guardianship.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to Prepare for a Temporary Custody Hearing


Related articles

Checklist for Full Custody Hearings in Ohio

In Ohio, each parent has equal rights to the child and courts almost always give visitation to the non-custodial parent. Sole custody is an arrangement in which one parent has sole decision-making authority and is the parent with whom the child lives. Some parents seek sole custody with no, or very limited, visitation with the other parent, often referred to as full custody. If you are seeking full custody of your child, you will need to prove the other parent is an unfit caregiver for your child and must go to your hearing fully prepared. Because Ohio law errs on the side of providing visitation to non-custodial parents, it is wise to hire a family law attorney to represent you if you seek full custody.

Legal Guardianship of a Minor Child in Foster Care

Foster care is usually an emergency stop-gap measure used when a child’s home life reaches a point where she can no longer live safely with her parents. Another family or adult cares for the child while social services and the court deal with the problem that led to the child’s removal from her home. However, sometimes the problems aren’t fixable and the child needs a more permanent solution. In these cases, courts assign or approve a legal guardian to have custodial rights and responsibility for the child according to a guardianship order.

How to Get Child Custody If a Parent Refuses to Sign the Papers

Because child custody disputes can be contentious and stressful, family courts encourage parents to settle their disputes on their own. This not only shields the child from the stress of a custody fight, but it also allows the parents the autonomy to work out a custody plan that works with both parents' schedules and the child's needs. When one parent refuses to sign a proposed parenting plan or settle a custody dispute, however, you will need to use the court system to resolve your custody issues.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

The Rights & Responsibilities of a Temporary Guardian in Arkansas

A temporary guardian is a person appointed by the court to play the legal role of a child's parent, when parents are ...

Guardian Instructions for Minor Guardianship

Parents are considered the natural guardians of their biological or adopted children. If the parents are unable or ...

How to Enforce a Court Order for Visitation in Indiana

Indiana family courts were established to protect children and their families. A child's interests are protected, in ...

How to Petition for Sole Custody in New York

Sole custody is a custody arrangement in which one parent has sole decision-making authority over the child in addition ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED