Legal Guardianship in Indiana

By Joe Stone

A legal guardianship in Indiana is used to appoint a guardian to provide for the care of a minor or an adult unable to manage his personal affairs. The person under a guardianship is called a ward or protected person. The guardian is appointed by court order and is always answerable to the court regarding the proper handling of ward's personal affairs and assets.

Types of Guardianships

Under Indiana law, a guardian is appointed as one of three types: guardian of the person; guardian of the estate; or guardian of the person and estate. As guardian of the person, the guardian is only responsible for ensuring that the ward’s personal needs are adequately maintained, such as living conditions, day-to-day needs and health care. If the ward is a minor, a guardian of the person is also responsible for overseeing the ward's education. As guardian of the estate, the guardian’s responsibility is limited to managing the ward’s financial affairs, such as investments, bank accounts and real estate. In most cases, the guardian is appointed for both the person and estate and has full responsibility for the personal care and financial affairs of the ward.

Limited Guardianships

Indiana law provides for a limited guardianship in certain situations. For example, a guardian ad litem is appointed solely to represent a minor or an incapacitated adult in a specific lawsuit. This type of guardianship terminates when the lawsuit ends. A guardian's powers and duties can also be specifically limited by court order, with the ward retaining all rights not subject to the court's order. In an emergency situation, the court can appoint a temporary guardian for a short time period, not to exceed 60 days. The court must determine that the temporary guardian's appointment is necessary to prevent injury to the ward personally or to his estate.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Guardian Qualifications

In Indiana, the court appointing a guardian considers all the people who are qualified and willing to serve as guardian, giving special consideration to certain factors specified by state law. For example, the request of an incapacitated person for a specific individual as guardian will be considered. The request can be stated at the hearing or in any document, such as a power of attorney or will. If a minor is at least 14 years of age, the court will consider the minor's request. The court is also to consider the relationship of the proposed guardian to the incapacitated person or minor, including whether the proposed guardian is presently acting under a power of attorney. Whatever is in the best interest of the incapacitated person or minor, as well as the property of the incapacitated person or minor, is also considered.

Guardian's Reporting Duties

In addition to the guardian's duties to oversee and care for the ward's personal affairs and property, the guardian also must report to the court. Within 90 days of appointment, the guardian must file an inventory of the ward's real and personal property. The inventory must be filed within 30 days in the case of a temporary guardianship. A guardian's report must be filed two years after appointment and every two years thereafter. The report must include such information as any changes in the ward's health or assets and indicate whether the guardianship should continue. The court where the guardianship was established provides forms for use in preparing these biennial reports.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Legal Guardianship in Alabama


Related articles

Legal Guardianship Procedures

Guardianship is a legal relationship between two people: a guardian and a ward. The guardian is granted legal authority over the ward, and the role is similar to that of a parent, who has legal authority over a child. A guardian may be appointed for either a minor or an adult, as long as the ward is legally incompetent and the guardianship is in the best interests of the ward.

Legal Guardianship of Minors in North Carolina

A minor in North Carolina needs a guardian if his parents are dead or unable to take care of him. Occasionally, a guardian is needed to manage a minor's assets. A guardian is responsible for taking care of the minor or his property with the same diligence as a natural parent, since a minor can't make certain decisions or perform some actions for himself. Guardianship of a minor in North Carolina usually continues until the minor, also known as a ward, turns 18.

Temporary Guardianship Law in Kansas

A Kansas court may grant temporary guardianship of a person whose well-being is deemed to be in imminent danger. Kansas law regarding temporary guardianship is covered in Article 30 of the Kansas Probate Code, which is Chapter 59 of the Kansas Statutes. Since these laws are detailed, you may wish to obtain professional legal advice for your specific situation.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Legal Guardianship Statutes in Minnesota

A guardian is a person who is granted the legal right to make personal decisions on behalf of someone, known as a ward, ...

Missouri Statute on Guardianship

A legal guardian's relationship to a ward, who can be a minor or a disabled or incapacitated adult, is analogous to a ...

How to Appoint a Guardian for an Unborn Child in Texas

A guardianship is a legal relationship between a ward and an individual tasked with caring for the ward's well-being. ...

Legal Guardianship for an Adult in California

In California, a legal guardianship for an adult is called a conservatorship and can only be established by an order of ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED