How Do I Get Legal Guardianship in Missouri?

By David Carnes

A legal guardian undertakes responsibility for the welfare of someone, known as a ward, who is unable to undertake these responsibilities on his own behalf. A ward may be either a minor whose parents cannot or will not care for him, or an adult suffering from an incapacity that prevents him from meeting his own needs. A guardian can be appointed only by court order. Missouri's guardianship laws are found in Chapter 475 of the Missouri Revised Statutes.

Step 1

Obtain a Petition for Appointment of a Guardian and Conservator from the court clerk of the Probate Division of the Circuit Court in the county where the proposed ward lives. There are different petitions, depending on whether the ward is a minor or an incapacitated adult.

Step 2

Complete the petition. You must include identifying details about yourself and the ward, state the nature of the incapacity if the ward is an adult, and specify your reasons for seeking guardianship. You must also state the approximate value of the ward's property and list the ward's closest known relatives so that they can be notified.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan

Step 3

Sign the petition. Prepare one copy for your records and one copy for the ward.

Step 4

Deliver the petition to the court clerk. The filing fee varies widely by locality -- in St. Louis County, for example, the fee is $107, whereas in St. Louis City the fee is $500, at the time of publication. The court will notify the ward 's closest relatives of the petition and appoint an attorney to represent the ward. If the ward is an adult, the court will provide you with interrogatories to present to his treating physician to establish that he is incapacitated. Interrogatories are written questions that require answers under oath. Intentionally inaccurate responses to interrogatories can result in perjury charges.

Step 5

Deliver a copy of the petition to the local Sheriff's Office. The Sheriff's Office will personally deliver the petition to the ward or his caretaker. The attorney appointed to represent the ward is required to attempt to meet with him and, if he is at least 14, personally notify him of the proceedings.

Step 6

Submit the interrogatories to the ward's treating physician, if he is an adult. His treating physician must answer questions about his medical condition and state whether he believes a guardianship is justified. Return the interrogatories to the court clerk. The court will schedule a hearing once it receives answers to the interrogatories. If the physician refused to answer the interrogatories, you may petition the court to subpoena him as a witness at the hearing. If he answered the interrogatories, his written answers will be admitted as evidence that the ward is incapacitated.

Step 7

Prepare evidence that the ward is not in the care of his parents, or that his parents are unable or unwilling to properly care for him, if the ward is a minor. If the minor's parents are dead, for example, you should prepare a copy of their death certificates. If they are abusive or have substance abuse problems, you might seek witnesses who are willing to provide testimony to verify this. If the witnesses refuse to testify, you can petition the court to issue subpoenas requiring their testimony.

Step 8

Attend the hearing. You must present evidence that the ward is either a minor not in the care of his parents or an incapacitated adult. The court may question you about your background and your fitness to serve as guardian. More than one hearing may be required. If your petition is approved, the court will issue an order establishing your guardianship over the ward.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan
Missouri Statute on Guardianship



Related articles

Legal Guardianship Procedures

Guardianship is a legal relationship between two people: a guardian and a ward. The guardian is granted legal authority over the ward, and the role is similar to that of a parent, who has legal authority over a child. A guardian may be appointed for either a minor or an adult, as long as the ward is legally incompetent and the guardianship is in the best interests of the ward.

Guardian Instructions for Minor Guardianship

Parents are considered the natural guardians of their biological or adopted children. If the parents are unable or unwilling to care for their child, however, the state may appoint a guardian if no suitable alternative for the care of the child exists. Although state laws vary, all states require guardians to be appointed by court order.

Legal Guardianship in Wisconsin

A guardian is a person or organization appointed by a court to exercise care, custody and control on behalf of a ward -- a minor or an incapacitated adult. Wisconsin recognizes two types of guardianship: guardianship of the person and guardianship of the estate. Wisconsin guardianship law is found in Chapter 48 of the Wisconsin Statutes.

LegalZoom. Legal help is here. Start Here. Wills. Trusts. Attorney help. Wills & Trusts

Related articles

Legal Guardianship in Colorado

A guardian is appointed by the court to make personal decisions on behalf of another person, known as the ward, when ...

How to Remove a Guardian in Illinois

A guardian in Illinois is responsible for the care and safety of a minor child or a mentally incompetent adult or his ...

How to Write an Affidavit for Guardianship

Guardianship is a legal relationship in which an adult is responsible for the care and decision-making of someone who ...

Legal Guardianship in the State of Maine

Under Maine law, anyone who is physically or mentally incapable of caring for himself requires a guardian. He might be ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED