How to Legally Change My Name in Missouri

By Anna Assad

Missouri law allows you to change your name as long as you're not doing so to harm another person's interest. For example, if you're changing your name to avoid paying a bill, the court will not grant the order, as it's detrimental to the creditor. A name change in Missouri is handled through the circuit court of the Missouri county the person lives in. You must file a petition, attend a hearing and run a legal ad notifying persons of your desire to change your name to receive a name change order in the state.

Step 1

Visit the Missouri Circuit Court of the county you live in. Ask the court clerk for the Petition for Name Change.

Step 2

Complete the name change petition. You must enter your current name, the name you want and the exact reason you're changing it. Missouri law allows a judge to deny a name change if the change is for detrimental purposes, so clearly state your reason. You also need your birth date and place of birth, your parent's names -- including your mother's maiden name -- and your spouse and children's names if you're married or have children. File the petition. Fees for filing vary by county. The court will give you a hearing date either right after filing or by mail, depending on the county.

Get help changing your legal name. Learn More

Step 3

Attend the hearing. Judges ask questions about your reason for the name change in Missouri, so be prepared to explain why you're requesting a new name.

Step 4

Contact a newspaper that is circulated in your county as soon as the order is granted. Tell the newspaper you want to run a legal notice of a name change. The newspaper will need your old name, new name, the name of the court that granted the order and order date. Schedule the notice to run at least three times within the next 20 days. The newspaper will notify the court once the ad has been run, and you will receive your final name change order in the mail.

Get help changing your legal name. Learn More
How to Change Your Baby's Last Name in Illinois


Related articles

How to Legally Change a Name in Texas

The state of Texas allows you to change your legal name with a petition, which is then filed in the court of the county where you live. State law sets down the procedures and required forms, while county courts set filing fees and schedule hearings.

Can a Divorce Be Stopped in Florida If the Papers Have Been Filed?

In Florida, a divorce is known as a dissolution of marriage. So long as the dissolution decree has not yet been issued in your case -- which finalizes the divorce and makes it official -- you and your spouse can stop the dissolution of your marriage at any time.

Tennessee Laws on Regaining Maiden Name After Divorce

Taking back your maiden name after a Tennessee divorce is a straightforward matter, and many women include the request in the divorce complaint. If your husband files the divorce, you can request the name change in your answer to the divorce complaint. Restoring your maiden name is a legal and emotional decision. You are not required to change your name after a divorce. If you have children, you may choose to keep your ex-husband's last name as changing your last name will not affect your children's last name. Your ex-husband cannot force you to restore your maiden name.

Doing the right thing has never been easier. Name Change

Related articles

How Do I Legally Change My Name in Ohio?

Name changes for an adult in Ohio are made in the probate court of the county the person lives in. You must file an ...

Name Change During a Divorce in Missouri

The act of changing one's surname during a divorce is surprisingly simple in the state of Missouri. With the simple ...

How to Change Your Name to Your Maiden Name Post Divorce in New Mexico

The state of New Mexico allows you to legally change your name back to your maiden name, even if you didn't request the ...

How to Change Names Legally in Illinois

Although the process of changing your name in Illinois is straightforward, it involves several steps. Before you begin ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED