Do LLC Companies Need an EIN Number?

By Joseph Nicholson

An Employer Identification Number, or EIN, is a string of digits assigned to business entities by the IRS. An EIN functions like a Social Security number for a business. Many, but not all businesses, require an EIN, including LLCs. Whether or not your LLC needs an EIN depends on certain features of the business.


Does your business have employees? If so, you will certainly need an EIN. As the name implies, a primary function of the EIN is to identify and keep track of payroll and other employee-related taxes for businesses. Keep in mind that as the sole member of an LLC, you are not necessarily an employee unless you receive a salary or wages from the company, and neither are contract workers who receive a 1099 instead of a W-2. But, if your single-member LLC has a retirement plan, including a Keogh plan, you will need an EIN.

Multi-member LLCs

All multi-member LLCs need an EIN. This is because even if your company does not have employees, you will need an EIN if you've elected to be taxed as a corporation, or if you are taxed as a partnership. A multi-member LLC is taxed as a partnership by default without having to file an entity election. Any time you form a new multi-member LLC under state law, you will need to obtain a new EIN. An LLC being taxed as an S corporation must elect to be taxed as a C corporation and then qualify for S corporation status -- with the result that the company is required to obtain an EIN.

Ready to start your LLC? Start an LLC Online Now

Other Special Circumstances

Does your company pay federal excise taxes or alcohol, tobacco or firearms taxes? If so, this means you will need to get an EIN. According to AccountingAide, as with payroll taxes, the IRS will use the EIN to monitor your payment of these federal taxes. Similarly, if you withhold income other than wages for a non-resident alien, you will have to have an EIN. And, as a general rule, if you are required to withhold wages at all, you will have to file for an EIN.

Single-Member LLCs with Employees

Changes to the tax laws in 2007 that went into effect in 2009 have also changed the way some single-member LLCs report their taxes, in some cases requiring a new EIN. The new regulations require the LLC, not the single-member owner, to pay the employment taxes on employee wages. This means that unless the primary name on the account paying the taxes is the name of the LLC, a new EIN will have to be obtained.

Ready to start your LLC? Start an LLC Online Now
How to Change a Name on a SIN Card



Related articles

What Is a Disregarded Entity LLC?

The type of business entity called a limited liability company, or LLC, is a creation of state law. Though LLCs have become commonplace, the IRS has not created a new category for these businesses, but has rather adapted existing tax categories for this new type of company. One of the primary benefits LLCs are intended to provide is the ability for business owners to report the company's profit or loss on their individual returns.

How to Register an LLC in New Jersey

You can register your LLC in New Jersey only after you have filed articles of formation with the New Jersey State Department of Treasury. The state requires all domestic, or in state, and foreign, or out of state, limited liability companies conducting business in New Jersey to register for tax and employer purposes. You can register online, or by downloading and printing out the fill-in-the-blank forms, as long as not more than 60 days has passed since you submitted formation documents. Make sure to register at least five business days before you will be opening for business.

How to Use a Personal Name in an LLC

An LLC is a distinct business entity organized under state law. It can register a name that is not already in use and is not so similar to a name in use by a competitor as to cause consumer confusion. You must be careful, however, that you keep your business distinct from your personal life to comply with IRS rules and to maintain the protection from liability.

LLCs, Corporations, Patents, Attorney Help LLCs

Related articles

Does an LLC Need an EIN?

LLCs, or limited liability companies, are a relatively new business structure. As state, not federal entities, their ...

How to Notify Florida Department of Revenue of a Company Name Change

If your company does business in the State of Florida, you need to notify the Florida Department of Revenue when you ...

Things to Consider in Self Employment

If you're considering making a transition from the 9-to-5 world to becoming self-employed, you may wonder what ...

How do I Obtain a Federal Tax ID When Forming an LLC?

Every individual and independent business entity in the United States that is required to pay federal taxes must have a ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED