Louisiana Laws for Serving Divorce Papers

By Beverly Bird

Divorce is rarely an easy process. Louisiana law streamlines it in some ways and complicates it in others. After you serve your spouse with your divorce papers, if she doesn’t file a response, the court will grant your divorce six months later with a minimum of fuss. However, if you can’t find her to have her served, the situation becomes much more complicated.

Waiver of Service

Ideally, your spouse will waive service of your divorce papers. Louisiana allows you to hand-deliver your petition to your spouse directly, if she's willing to sign a waiver of service and citation. You can then file the waiver with the court and this substitutes for service. The waiver is a short, one-page document available through legal websites or the Louisiana Supreme Court website.

Service by Sheriff

Typically, parish sheriffs hand-deliver divorce papers in Louisiana if your spouse won’t waive service. You can use the sheriff in the parish where you filed for divorce or, if your spouse lives elsewhere, you can use the sheriff in her parish. This is usually the easiest method because after you turn your divorce papers over to the sheriff, he will typically take care of everything else for you. He’ll file confirmation with the court after he’s successfully given your papers to your spouse.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Service by Other Adults

If the sheriff is unable to serve your spouse, you can ask another adult to do so, but this is where the process begins to get complicated. Louisiana law doesn’t allow you to do this without court approval. After 10 days, if the sheriff can’t serve your spouse, you must file a special motion with the court requesting permission for someone else to attempt it. Unless the individual you’ve chosen is a licensed private investigator, a judge must determine if he's qualified. If your process server is successful, he must file proof of service with the court, just as the sheriff would have done.

When You Can’t Find Your Spouse

If the sheriff or a private process server can't locate your spouse to achieve service, you might want to consult with an attorney. Alternatively, you could hire a private investigator to try to find your spouse. If your spouse hasn’t waived service of your petition or responded to it in the six-month period after you filed it with the court, the court will appoint an attorney to represent her interests at a final hearing. Generally, you must pay this attorney’s fees. Louisiana law requires that you provide the attorney with any information you have regarding your spouse’s whereabouts. The attorney will then make an effort to find her. If unsuccessful, he can arrange to serve your spouse by notification in a local newspaper or by certified mail to her last known address. The postal service will return the mail as undeliverable if she’s no longer living there so the attorney can attest to the court that she can't be found. Although other states allow you to handle service by publication on your own when your spouse is missing, only her court-appointed attorney can do so in Louisiana.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
What Are the Rules for Serving Divorce Papers?


Related articles

How to Serve Military Personnel With Divorce Papers

Military courts cannot grant divorces, so military couples must get divorced in state courts following the same basic process that civilians follow. However, divorces involving service members can have additional obstacles because of the nature of military service. For example, it can be tricky to find a way to serve your military spouse if he is overseas or on a military base.

Can Divorce Papers Be Served to a Post Office Box?

You can't get a divorce until the court is sure that your spouse is aware of the proceedings. Therefore, you must serve her with a copy of your petition. The rules for how you can do this vary somewhat from state to state. Many jurisdictions allow you to mail your spouse a copy of your divorce papers. If you are serving her by mail, using a post office box usually isn't prohibited if this is how she regularly gets her mail delivered, as long as you can prove that she actually received the divorce paperwork.

Can You Get Divorced While Deployed?

If you want a divorce, the fact that you're deployed doesn't necessarily have to stop you, although it may make the process logistically more difficult. If your spouse files, however, and you're overseas, the federal government has your back. Under the terms of the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act, you can put off dealing with the divorce, at least for a while.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

What if My Wife in New York State Refuses to Divorce Me?

Until 2010, if you lived in New York and your wife refused to divorce you, she could have complicated the situation ...

What Can You Do When Your Spouse Refuses a Divorce Summons in Washington?

No state allows a spouse to block the divorce process by refusing to accept service of the summons and petition. ...

Responding to a Summons & Complaint Divorce in Texas

A complaint for divorce is called a petition in Texas, while a summons is called a citation. The state's rules for ...

How Long Does it Take to Be Served Divorce Papers?

When your spouse tells you that she’s filed a divorce petition, you'll probably spend the next several days waiting for ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED