How Do I Modify My Address on a Petition for Divorce Form if I Recently Moved?

By Beverly Bird

In all jurisdictions, divorce petitions require that you include your address. In conjunction with your statement regarding how long you’ve lived in the state where you're filing, this certifies that you’ve met residency requirements. However, you’re not required to remain at the same address throughout the divorce process. After you’ve filed for divorce and established residency, your address and contact information is only important so the court knows where to reach you.

Court Notification

Most states do not require you to actually modify your address on your petition when you move. Your petition remains valid if you relocate. In these states, such as New Hampshire, you must only fill out a change-of-address form with the court, citing the address you used in your petition and providing your current address. You can usually get the forms from the court clerk; some states make them available on their websites.

Amended Petition

If your state does require that you modify your petition, or if you want to change other information in your petition in addition to your address, you can file an amended petition for divorce. This is a new version of your original petition, replacing the old information with current information and adding any new points which you want to include. However, many states require a second filing fee for an amended petition, and you must go through the time and expense of serving your spouse with the amended version just as you did with the original version. If all you’re changing is your address, and your state doesn’t require an amended petition, it probably wouldn't be worth it. Some states, such as Idaho, also have time limits for when you can do this; after a certain amount of days, you have to proceed with your petition as you initially filed it unless the court gives you special permission to amend it.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Domestic Violence Precautions

If you moved because your spouse has threatened you or because you’re a victim of domestic violence, many states don’t require that you include your address in your petition at all. For example, if you file a petition for an order of protection in Arizona, you can request that your address not be included in any of your divorce papers. This prevents your spouse from locating you again and potentially hurting you. If you submit a notification of change of address and you’re worried about a situation such as this, ask the clerk what you can do to prevent your address from appearing on future court notices so it's disclosed to your spouse.

Other Notifications

If you have children and child support is a factor in your divorce, most states require that payments go through their child support collection units. In this case, you would also have to notify the collection unit that you’ve moved. They can keep your address confidential as well if you request it. Check with your court clerk to find out if there are any other agencies you must notify.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to Amend Divorce Papers


Related articles

How Long Does It Take to Start & End Divorce Papers in Arizona?

If you’ve lived in your Arizona county for at least 90 days, you can file for divorce there even if your spouse lives elsewhere. Unless you have a covenant marriage, Arizona allows you to file on the grounds of “irreconcilable differences” and does not require you to prove your spouse was at fault to get a divorce. However, the earliest a judge can sign your final divorce decree, if you and your spouse both agree on the divorce, is 60 days after the divorce paperwork is delivered to your spouse since Arizona has a mandatory 60-day waiting period.

How to Modify Child Support Payments in Indiana

Indiana couples with children typically obtain a child support order as part of their divorce decree, but often the order must be modified after the divorce to meet the family's changing circumstances. In Indiana, a court can modify a support order only in certain situations, including when a parent has experienced a substantial and continuing change in circumstances.

How to Change Your First Name Legally

The process for legally changing your first name is the same as for legally changing your last name. It differs somewhat from state to state, but in all states you need to ask permission from the court and obtain an order from a judge. This order allows you to change your birth certificate and other documents. In some states, you must also undergo a police check before beginning the name change process, as some people are prohibited from legally changing their name, for example, people on the sex offenders register.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How to Amend a Divorce Petition in California

California law allows a person who filed a divorce petition, called a “petitioner,” to amend that petition to ...

How to Make Changes to a Living Trust

The ease with which you can make changes to your living trust depends on what kind of trust you created. If you made an ...

Can You Use a PO Box for a Divorce?

Filing for divorce requires you to inform the court of your whereabouts. This ensures both the court and your spouse ...

How Do I Legally Drop My First Name & Just Use My Middle & Last Name?

In day-to-day life, you can use your middle name instead of your first name if that's what you prefer. However, to use ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED