How to Modify a Divorce Decree in the State of Mississippi

By Heather Frances J.D.

Once your divorce decree is signed, your divorce case is complete, but you and your ex-spouse may later find it necessary to make changes to your decree. In Mississippi, your divorce decree can be modified by the court at your request, but only if there is a change in circumstances that the court agrees warrants a modification.

Divorce Agreement and Decree

If you and your spouse are able to reach agreement on the terms of your divorce, often drafted into a document called a divorce agreement or separation agreement, the court will likely incorporate that agreement into your divorce decree. The agreement should address issues such as child support and custody, alimony – which can be awarded in Mississippi – and property division. Mississippi treats these similarly to contracts. The agreement and subsequent decree is binding on you and your spouse, but the Mississippi court can modify it where necessary.

Change in Circumstances

A change of circumstances after the original decree is issued might warrant a change in the divorce decree. Commonly, the terms a couple request to have modified involve custody or child support. These topics are usually included in a divorce decree but can change, as when a parent moves, changes his work schedule or takes a significantly higher-paying job.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Filing for Modification

If you want to modify your divorce decree, you must file a motion with the appropriate court. Typically, this will be the same Mississippi chancery court that issued your original divorce decree. The motion, called a Complaint for Modification, must be served on your ex-spouse along with a summons, which contains a court date.

Receiving Modification

If you and your ex-spouse cannot agree on the modification, the court will set a hearing date, which may be scheduled for a date after the initial appearance date listed in your summons. If you can agree, a hearing probably will not be necessary. If a hearing is required, it is up to you as the person requesting the modification to show proof to the court of why the modification is necessary. At the hearing, the judge will accept evidence, including testimony or documents, from each side. If you provide sufficient proof, the court can issue a new order modifying your divorce decree.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Can I Amend a Divorce Decree After Five Months in Wisconsin?


Related articles

How to Undo Custody Arrangements in New Jersey

The divorce process can be a bumpy road. You may think you have certain issues resolved, such as custody, but then something happens that makes you uncomfortable with the terms you agreed to, or you may disagree with a judge's decision. In New Jersey, you may or may not be able to undo the arrangement. It depends a great deal on where you are in the divorce process and why you want to change your parenting plan.

How to Apply for a Divorce Decree Document

A divorce decree is a document prepared by the court that specifies the terms and conditions of the divorce. Typically, it is kept on file at the Office of the County Clerk in the county where the divorce proceedings occurred. It is important to have a copy of your divorce decree as it is the formal legal document that declares your divorce finalized and, where appropriate, contains the court’s determinations as to division of marital property, child support and visitation, and spousal support. You need a copy of your divorce decree to remarry, obtain a legal name change, or remove a former spouse’s name from any joint loans or bank accounts.

After a Divorce Is Final, Can Your Ex-Spouse Take You Back to Court?

If there is a substantial change in circumstances after a final divorce decree is issued, it is possible for your ex-spouse to take you back to court to modify certain aspects of your divorce agreements. Typically, courts won't reconsider the original property or debt division, but modifications of spousal and child support, custody and visitation are not uncommon when you can show a substantial enough change in circumstances to justify the modification.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How to Divorce in PA After Two Years When a Spouse Does Not Agree on Settlement

If you file for a no-fault divorce in Pennsylvania, you can get a divorce in six months if you and your spouse are in ...

How to Change Custody of a Minor in New Jersey

After parents separate or divorce, life goes on; children grow older and their needs change. Parents move on, too, ...

Changing Divorce Decrees in Minnesota

A Minnesota divorce becomes final when the divorce decree is signed by a judge, entered into the court record and 60 ...

Time Period for Contesting a Final Divorce Decree in Texas

Divorce is often a controversial process. It’s not uncommon for a spouse to agree to terms, then realize he made a bad ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED