Motion to Reinstate a Divorce Complaint

By Beverly Bird

Deadlines and mandatory court filings can complicate the divorce process, especially when you’re representing yourself and you're unsure of the rules. It’s surprisingly easy to take a misstep that might result in the court throwing out your case by dismissing your complaint. Fortunately, you can usually remedy the situation very easily by correcting your error and filing a motion with the court to reinstate it.

Causes for Dismissal

Most commonly, the court will dismiss a divorce complaint when the plaintiff -- the spouse who files the complaint and initiates the divorce action -- fails to prosecute the case after beginning it. You can fail to prosecute in any number of ways. You might have neglected to officially serve your spouse with a copy of your complaint. If you did serve him, you might have forgotten to file proof of that with the court. Alternatively, you might have overlooked filing some mandatory pleadings, such as the financial disclosure form that most state courts require. Your spouse can also file a motion with the court, asking for dismissal of your complaint. This might happen if you don't respond to his discovery demands. For example, in most contested divorces, spouses will serve interrogatories on each other. These are a list of questions requiring written answers under oath. If you fail to answer the questions and return them to your spouse or his attorney within a certain time frame, he can ask the court to dismiss your complaint.

Motion to Reinstate

If the court dismisses your complaint because you failed to prosecute, you’ll usually receive an official order terminating your case. You have the right to ask the court to reconsider by filing a motion. Most state courts provide simple forms for this that you can download from their websites or other legal websites. Even though the court terminated your divorce action, you should file your paperwork using the same docket or case number the court wrote on your complaint when you first filed it because your motion relates to that case. You must serve a copy of your motion on your spouse, making sure he officially receives it. He has the right to file an answer and to object. The deadline for motions to reinstate complaints vary from state to state, but you may have plenty of time. For example, in New Jersey, you have a year. However, this period begins from the date you filed your complaint not the date it was dismissed.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More


The court will probably deny your motion if you haven’t fixed the error you made that resulted in your complaint’s dismissal. If you failed to file proof that you served your spouse or other mandatory documents, you must explain to the court why you didn’t do so. Typically, you must also attach those documents to your motion so the court can file them simultaneously with an order reopening your case. You can’t file them before you make your motion for reinstatement because your case is no longer open. The court generally can’t accept documents relating to it, except your motion to reinstate.


If your spouse files a motion with the court asking for dismissal of your complaint because you failed to cooperate with discovery, you’ll receive a copy of his motion. Usually, you can simply give him or his attorney the discovery or other documentation they’re looking for. You can then file a response to his motion, telling the court that you’ve now done what you were supposed to do. If the court dismisses your complaint and denies your motion for reinstatement, this doesn’t mean you have to remain married. You always have the right to file a new complaint for divorce and start the process over again.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Retracting a Divorce


Related articles

Do Divorce Papers Expire if Not Served?

Divorce involves an intricate series of rules -- and many of them come with deadlines. Service of process is one such rule. Your spouse has a right to defend himself in the divorce action, so you must serve your divorce papers on him according to the laws of your state. There's usually a deadline by which you must do so, but it can vary depending on where you live.

Can You Revoke a Sworn Affidavit in a Divorce Case?

The divorce process is riddled with occasions when you're asked to sign documents under oath. Most include language saying you’re attesting to the truth of your statements. Affidavits usually relate to motions - when you or your attorney ask a judge to decide an issue temporarily until your divorce is final. Your affidavit is the written presentation of the facts behind your request. Most states also require financial affidavits early on in a divorce. These contain information regarding your assets, income and budget to guide the court in making property and support decisions.

The Time Frame to Adjudicate Divorce Default in New York

A default divorce occurs when the defendant receives notice that his spouse has filed for divorce and he does nothing about it. If your spouse doesn’t officially defend against your divorce complaint, either by objecting to its grounds or to your requests for custody, support and property distribution, New York law allows you to proceed with the divorce anyway by filing for default. If you act promptly to submit all your required paperwork, you can conceivably complete the entire default divorce process within three months.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

What Do You Tell the Court if You & Your Spouse Don't Want a Divorce Anymore?

When you take legal steps to end your marriage, you invite the court into your personal life. However, all states ...

Types of Pleadings in a Divorce

Like any legal matter, divorces can generate reams of paperwork. It can be a bit overwhelming, especially when ...

Can a Divorce Be Denied?

Depending on your state’s laws, the state court can decline to grant your divorce, but it won’t deny a divorce simply ...

What Happens When Your Spouse Disappears in the Middle of Your Divorce and Is Represented by Counsel?

It's possible for a spouse to disappear midway through divorce proceedings, especially if he doesn’t want the divorce. ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED