How to Move a Corporation From Nevada to California

By Terry Masters

A corporation is not required to incorporate in the state where it is headquartered. As long as you maintain a registered agent in your state of incorporation and obtain permission to operate in any other state where you plan to transact business, you can set up your corporate headquarters anywhere. If your business is incorporated in Nevada, you have the option of changing your incorporation venue to California, or, alternatively, relocating the business to California without changing the company's incorporation paperwork.


The state where you choose to file the articles of incorporation for your business is considered its corporate domicile, or home state. Your corporation is considered a domestic corporation of that state and a foreign corporation of any other state where it transacts business. One of the ways to move a corporation from Nevada to California is to change the corporation's domicile, also known as reincorporating. This is typically done when a corporation decides not to transact future business in the home state and wants to take advantage of benefits, such as favorable tax treatment, that may be available by being a domestic corporation of a different state. To reincorporate your business, you would have to withdraw your domestic registration in Nevada by filing articles of dissolution with the secretary of state's office and reorganize the business in California by filing articles of incorporation with that state.

Foreign Entity Registration

Alternatively, you could pursue a physical relocation from Nevada to California. Under this scenario, you would not withdraw your Nevada incorporation paperwork. Instead, you would submit a Statement and Designation by Foreign Corporation form, also known as a certificate of authority, with the California Secretary of State's office to obtain authorization to transact business in the state as a foreign corporation. Then, you would relocate your headquarters, physical plant or other operations from Nevada to California. You would be required to maintain a registered agent in Nevada who could accept official mail and court summonses, but you need not maintain any other type of business presence in that state.

Ready to incorporate your business? Get Started Now

Business Name Registration

One of the most important parts of relocating your corporation from Nevada to California is to ensure that your business name is available for use in the new state. Your Nevada business registration only reserves your corporate name for your use within state boundaries. If you want to operate in California, either as a foreign or domestic corporation, you will need to verify that no other business is operating under a similar name. California is among the states that require a registered business to operate under a unique name that distinguishes it from other businesses to avoid confusion. You may be required to operate your business in California under an assumed business name, also known as a "doing business as" or DBA, or to officially change the legal name of your corporation.

Tax Registration

Another significant component in relocating your corporation from Nevada to California concerns your corporation's state tax liability. Nevada does not impose a state income tax on corporations. Instead, it assesses certain annual fees that must be paid to keep the corporation's registration active. Whether you relocate to California as a domestic or foreign corporation, you will have to register with department of revenue to pay California state taxes. If you keep your incorporation active in Nevada, you will also continue to pay annual fees and any sales or employment taxes for business conducted in that state.

Ready to incorporate your business? Get Started Now
How to Change the State of Incorporation



Related articles

How to Relocate a Non-Profit to Another State

A nonprofit organization is a type of business entity that operates for charitable or educational purposes and does not distribute profits to owners or shareholders. Nonprofits must follow the incorporation laws of each state where they are doing business. Relocating a nonprofit corporation to another state can be complex, as it involves meeting the legal requirements for closing down the business in one state and starting in another.

Principal Place of Business vs. State of Corporation

A corporation is created by the corporate law of a particular state. It is legally independent of its shareholders and management -- it can be taxed separately, and it can act as either plaintiff or defendant in a lawsuit. Although a corporation is an abstract entity, its operations are centered in a particular location, known as its principal place of business.

How to Become an LLC Business

The choice of business structure is one of the first and most important business decisions a new owner can make, but the decision is not set in stone. If you are running an existing business as a sole proprietor, partnership or corporation, you may choose to convert the business into a limited liability company. An LLC is a hybrid business structure, providing the limited liability features of a corporation while maintaining the ease and flexible management style of a sole proprietorship or partnership.

LLCs, Corporations, Patents, Attorney Help

Related articles

How to Transfer a C-Corporation From Another State to Florida

Like some other business types, C corporations, or corporations that are taxed separately from their owners, must ...

Can a Corporation Stay Inactive or Does It Have to Be Dissolved?

In most states, corporations have an obligation to remain in good standing and avoid penalties, whether the company is ...

How to Start a Nonprofit in California

A California nonprofit organization enjoys important tax advantages. It may be established only for certain limited ...

How to Start a Conglomerate Corporation

A corporation's status as a conglomerate comes from the way the corporation operates, not the way it is formed. A ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED