Do I Need to Change the Name on My Green Card If I Get Married?

By Tom Streissguth

The United States Customs and Immigration Service (USCIS) issues the Permanent Resident Card, or I-551, informally known as the "green card," to those immigrants holding resident status in the United States. The card carries vital information as well as a photograph; in the case of a name change due to marriage you must apply for a new card.

Change of Name after Marriage

U.S. law requires that your I-551 carry your current legal name. You do not have to replace the card if you do not change your name after the marriage. Federal law requires you to apply to the USCIS in order to effect the name change and replace the I-551.

Form I-90

In order to replace the I-551 bearing your former name, the USCIS requires you to fill out Form I-90, Application to Renew or Replace Green Card. The filing fee as of 2011 was $450, which includes both a $365 filing fee and a charge of $85 for the biometric data. You may e-file the application online at the USCIS website, or mail the paper form to USCIS, P.O. Box 21262, Phoenix, AZ 85036.

Get help changing your legal name. Learn More

Application Support Center

After filing the I-90, you will receive an appointment letter for an appearance at an Application Support Center. A government subcontractor operates this center, which will be located close to your home or in the nearest large city. You must bring a certified copy of the marriage certificate, or a court order, reflecting the name change.


The Application Support Center will take biometric data, including a fingerprint and a photograph, that will be present on the new green card. If the application is approved, your replacement I-551 will arrive in the mail within a few weeks. You must destroy the old I-551, which is no longer valid.

Get help changing your legal name. Learn More
Can You Change Your Name After Getting a Green Card?


Related articles

How to Change My Last Name in My Citizenship Papers

You need to change your last name on your U.S. citizenship certificate if you have a new last name due to marriage, divorce or a court order. Your certificate is necessary for both legal and identification purposes. If the name on your certificate doesn't match the name on your other legal papers, it will create confusion each time you present your certificate. You may correct your name by contacting U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and applying for a replacement certificate.

How to Change Your Name on Your SS Card in Georgia After a Marriage

If you recently got married in Georgia and filled out your marriage license using your husband’s last name, the name change is legally effective at the time your marriage license is issued. You’ll probably want to change your last name on your important documents, such as your driver’s license and Social Security card. As long as you have a copy of your marriage license and you submit the required paperwork to have your SS card updated, the Social Security Administration (SSA) will send you a new card.

Does a Marriage Certificate Qualify as a Name Change for Passport Requirements?

If you formally change your name when you marry, you must notify all government agencies that have issued you documents, licenses and identification cards in your former name. These documents might include an updated Social Security card, driver's license and a passport, if you have one. Proof of marriage is required to change your name on a U.S. passport.

Doing the right thing has never been easier.

Related articles

How to Change a Name After Marriage in Colorado

Colorado state law is based on English common law, which allows anyone to change his name without legal process. ...

How to Change a Name on a SIN Card

Your Social Insurance Number is the number you need to work and collect government benefits, such as a pension, in ...

What if Your Visa Is a Green Card and You Want a Divorce?

If you received a green card because you married a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident, divorcing your spouse may ...

Can I Stay in the US if I Get Divorced but Am Not a Citizen?

One route immigrants can take to obtain citizenship in the United States is to marry a U.S. citizen. After getting ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED