What Do I Need to Do to Contest a No-Fault Divorce in Pennsylvania?

By Beverly Bird

Pennsylvania offers spouses more ways to get divorced than most states. In addition to several fault grounds, the state offers two separate no-fault options. The first and easiest no-fault option involves spouses jointly signing and filing a mutual complaint for divorce, so contesting the process is not an issue. Pennsylvania's other no-fault option is irretrievable breakdown of the marriage, and a spouse can contest these grounds.

Step 1

Go online to a legal document provider or visit the Court of Common Pleas in your county to access a form for an "Answer and Counterclaim." This is your means of notifying the court you're not in agreement with the no-fault divorce your spouse has requested.

Step 2

Fill out the Answer and Counterclaim. This is a two-part document. The first part, which is the answer segment, typically contains boilerplate language stating how you're filing this document with the court statutorily indicates you're contesting and denying your spouse's grounds. You don't have to write anything in this segment except to indicate the numbered paragraphs in your spouse's divorce complaint to which you're responding. Include all of them to cover all your bases. For example, you'd write, "Paragraphs 1 through 15."

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Step 3

Use the counterclaim portion of the document if you also want to contest what your spouse has asked the court to grant her as part of the divorce. It's important to fill out the counterclaim portion even if you agree with what your spouse is asking for, but don't want the divorce. If you lose your attempt to stop the divorce based on grounds, the divorce will go forward and your counterclaim tells the court what you want from the divorce in the event that happens.

Step 4

File your Answer and Counterclaim with the Court of Common Pleas in the same county where your spouse filed for divorce. You have a very limited period of time in which to do this. After 20 days, your spouse can file an additional document with the court, known as a Notice of Intention to Request Divorce Decree, so you should make your objections known before this time. When the court receives your document, it will schedule a hearing to address your dispute of the grounds.

Step 5

Gather evidence to disprove your spouse's irretrievable breakdown grounds at the scheduled hearing. The requirements for this type of divorce involve a two-year separation and your spouse's assertion that your marriage can't be saved. If you haven't lived separately for the two full years, you can attempt to document this with copies of leases or utility bills in both names, or the testimony of witnesses who know you were together during that time. The judge will decide at this hearing whether to allow your divorce to proceed or dismiss your spouse's complaint.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to Draft a Counter Claim in a Divorce


Related articles

Ways to Respond to Divorce Summons in North Carolina

No matter where you live, when your spouse serves you with a divorce summons, it's possible to do nothing at all. However, in most states, you'll risk a lot if you don't respond. If your spouse has asked for full custody and all the property you own, you'll give up these things without a fight if you don't answer. This isn't always the case in North Carolina because divorce complaints generally don't include requests for property or custody.

What is the Process to File for Child Custody in New Jersey?

Filing for custody in New Jersey is as easy as including the request in your complaint for divorce. From there, the process becomes a little more complicated. New Jersey courts don't want to decide custody issues for you if they don't have to, so the state mandates some procedures to help you try to reach an agreement with your spouse on your own.

How Do I File a Response to Divorce Papers?

The emotion of a divorce is often further complicated by the legal labyrinth you find yourself trying to navigate after you're served with papers. This is especially true if you decide to proceed on your own, without an attorney. Law is famous for its complicated terms, rules and requirements. When your spouse serves you with divorce papers, you usually have a minimum of three different options to respond, depending on the laws of your particular state.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

What Happens When I Contest a Divorce in Tennessee?

You might want to contest your divorce for any number of reasons. You might object to your spouse’s grounds -- ...

How to File a Response to Divorce Papers in California

Either spouse has the option of terminating a marriage in California regardless of the desires of the other spouse. So ...

Laws on How to Prove I Am Legally Separated in North Carolina

North Carolina is one of the easiest states in which to end your marriage. It’s a no-fault state. Absent rare ...

How to File for a Divorce Even When the Other Spouse Does Not Want to Sign the Papers

Only under one circumstance would you need your spouse to sign papers so you can get your divorce. You need her ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED