New York Limited Partnership Law

By Wayne Thomas

The business structure of a limited partnership, or LP, can be attractive to financial backers interested in minimizing their personal liability. In New York, LPs are governed by the State Revised Partnership Act, which requires only one partner to be a general partner. All limited partners are then shielded from personal financial liability for most company decisions beyond the amount of their individual investments in the company. The process for registering an LP in New York starts with selecting a name, drafting a partnership agreement and filing certain documents required by law.

Name Reservation

New York requires all limited partnerships to register the company's name with the Department of State Division of Corporations. State law places specific limitations on the name you select; it must be distinguishable from those of other businesses currently operating in the state. Any name that is not unique will be rejected under state law. To narrow down potential names for your LP, search the state's online database or submit a written request to the Department of State. Once you find an available name, reserve it by filing an Application for Reservation of Name with the department. The department recommends that you attach a copy of its response to your initial query to the application. The name you reserve will be used in future LP state filings.

Partnership Agreement

Under New York law, partners in a limited partnership are required to execute a partnership agreement. This agreement becomes a binding contract that determines how profits are divided, the process for making future business decisions and procedures for changing ownership. To be enforceable, partnership agreements must be in writing and signed by all general partners. The limited partners may, but are not required to, sign the document. Partnership agreements can be amended at any time provided that changes do not increase the required contributions of any limited partner or alter the distribution of profits and losses without the consent of the limited partners.

Ready to start your LLC? Start an LLC Online Now

Documents to File

New York requires all limited partnerships to file a Certificate of Limited Partnership with the Department of State along with a filing fee. This document must state the partnership's name and include the words "limited partnership" or the abbreviation "L.P." No later than 120 days after filing the certificate, you must publish a copy of it or a notice regarding the formation of your LP in two newspapers once a week for a period of six weeks. After the publication period is complete, the newspaper will supply you with an Affidavit of Publication, which you are required to file with the department along with a Certificate of Publication. These documents are sworn statements indicating that the publication adhered to the requirements of state law.


In some cases, it may be necessary to amend a previously filed Certificate of Limited Partnership. Amendments are required if the partners decide to change the partnership's name or if the business location or address changes. Also, an amendment must be sought no later than 90 days after the addition or removal of any general partner. To make an amendment, you must file a Certificate of Amendment of the Certificate of Limited Partnership with the Department and specify each section of the original certificate that is to be changed.

Ready to start your LLC? Start an LLC Online Now
How to Convert a General to a Limited Partnership


Related articles

Pros & Cons of LLP Vs. Partnership

Limited liability partnerships, or LLPs, and partnerships, which are sometimes referred to as "general partnerships," are types of business entities that require two or more individuals to create. In general, these two business entities are quite similar with the major exception of liability protection. Online legal document preparation and filing services can help you form a general partnership or LLP.

Steps for Dissolving a Partnership in South Carolina

Knowing the process for ending a general partnership can help partners effectively wrap up business affairs when it comes time. In South Carolina, the filing of dissolution paperwork with the state is generally not required. However, it is a good idea for partners to execute a written agreement regarding distribution of company assets and payment of creditors in the event of dissolution. Additional steps, including cancellation of professional licenses and permits as well as satisfaction of tax liabilities, may also be involved.

How do I Change an Existing Partnership to an LLC?

The laws of every state permit the creation of various types of business organizations. One type of business organization, the limited liability company (LLC), combines the limited liability benefits of a corporation with the pass-through federal taxation and relaxed filing requirements of a partnership. Converting an existing partnership to an LLC requires filing a document, called the articles of organization, with the state agency responsible for registering business organizations. Some states require a certificate of formation rather than the articles of organization, but the information needed and the filing process is essentially the same.

LLCs, Corporations, Patents, Attorney Help LLCs

Related articles

Delaware Limited Partnership Law

Limited partnerships, or LPs, are governed by the Limited Partnership Act in Delaware. This act authorizes the ...

Documents Required to Dissolve A California Limited Partnership

The legal form of limited partnership offers businesses a blend of limited liability and organizational flexibility. A ...

Michigan Business Partnership Laws

Michigan has adopted the Uniform Partnership Act and Revised Uniform Limited Partnership Act, located in Chapter 449 of ...

How to Dissolve a Limited Partnership in New York State

A limited partnership must have at least one limited partner and one general partner. Limited partners do not usually ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED