Order of Referral to Magistrate in the Dissolution of a Marriage

By Wayne Thomas

Getting a marriage dissolved is not something that can be accomplished overnight. Even if you and your spouse are in agreement regarding every aspect of the divorce, there may be a long line of people ahead of you waiting to get into court. In some states, a judge has the option of referring part of a divorce case to a magistrate. Magistrates can make recommendations to the judge and help move a case forward at times when the docket is overly crowded.

Magistrates Overview

Some states utilize magistrates as part of the divorce process, also known as dissolution of marriage. The magistrate is usually an attorney and can be looked at as an assistant to the judge, who has been delegated certain responsibilities. These responsibilities are usually limited and might include deciding temporary matters that last only until the divorce is granted, such as temporary custody and alimony, or helping spouses that are not represented by an attorney get their case organized and ready for trial. Note that although magistrates can make findings and recommendations, only the presiding judge can issue orders that are binding on you and your spouse.

Referral Order

If your case is referred by your presiding judge to a magistrate, you likely will receive notice of this event through a referral order. Some states require that you and your spouse consent to the transfer, meaning that either party may object to the order within a certain time frame after receiving notice, such as 10 days. If an objection is made, this means that the magistrate will not hear your case and you will wait for the judge to have an opening in her schedule. If no objection is made within the time period, both parties are considered to have consented to the transfer. In other states, the referral can be made with or without consent.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Magistrate Hearings

Once the referral has been made, you most likely will have a hearing in front of the magistrate. Here, you and your spouse can submit evidence and question any witnesses you have. After the hearing concludes, the magistrate then makes written findings and offer his recommendation for how the judge should rule on the matter.

Magistrate's Report

If you and your spouse agree with the magistrate's findings and recommendation, the judge will usually sign off on the report and it will become a court order. If you disagree, you may file a written objection. States typically require that the objections be filed within a certain time period, such as 10 or 14 days after the findings are made. The judge reviews the transcripts of your hearing to determine whether the magistrate's findings were supported by the evidence. If the judge disagrees with the report, you may be required to go through another magistrate hearing.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
What Happens at a Mandatory Divorce Settlement Conference in California?


Related articles

How to Get a Divorce in Virginia When a Spouse Is Contesting

Finding common ground in a divorce action is not always easy. For divorcing couples in Virginia who cannot agree, the state has several requirements for successfully completing a contested divorce. The process begins by responding to the divorce petition, known as a Bill of Complaint in Virginia, and participating in a hearing with a divorce commissioner. Afterward, the case will then proceed to trial and be decided by a judge, once all pretrial matters have been completed.

Can the Defendant in a Divorce Reschedule the Trial Date in Michigan?

In Michigan, divorce trials often involve the participation of more than just the spouses. At times, the court must juggle the competing schedules of parties, attorneys and witnesses in order to ensure attendance. However, while judges will generally reschedule a trial for good cause, the court is also mindful of delay tactics. In that light, a judge will consider the reason for the request, as well as the timing and number of requests, in determining whether to alter the trial date.

Can a Person Ask for a Continuance Without a Lawyer During a Divorce Hearing in Virginia Law?

Rescheduling a divorce hearing can provide you with more time to prepare your case. In Virginia, a request to reschedule is referred to as a motion for continuance, which may be done in person at the scheduled hearing, regardless of whether or not you are represented by an attorney.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

What Is the Next Step in Arizona After Your Divorce Is in the Court for 60 Days?

Divorce doesn't happen overnight, but some states permit it to happen quicker than others. Arizona’s waiting period is ...

Amount of Time Between a Magistrate's Recommendation and Divorce

Not all states use magistrates to assist in the divorce process. Among those states that do, magistrates are often ...

Can I Still Get a Divorce if My Spouse Does Not Show Up at the General Magistrate Hearing?

Participation of both spouses can help ensure the divorce process moves forward efficiently. Unlike other states, ...

One-Sided Divorces in NYC

For some couples, the decision to get divorced is mutual. In other cases, only one spouse wants out of the marriage or ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED