Oregon Law: Can a Father Lose Rights for Abandonment?

By Roger Jewell

Generally, proceedings to terminate a father’s parental rights are brought by the state of Oregon in juvenile court. While the state’s purpose for filing for termination of a father’s rights is the protection of the child’s best interests, there are reasons why a private individual may bring such an action.

Purpose of State Parental Rights Termination Proceedings

The Oregon Department of Human Services usually brings parental rights termination proceedings for a child in its custody that is to be placed with another guardian or with the other parent. The state may also bring such an action to assist in the adoption of the child by another individual or parent. Such an action only terminates the parent named in the proceeding and does not affect the rights of any unnamed parent.

Why Private Individuals May Bring Termination Proceedings

The most common reason a private individual may pursue a parental termination action is so that a party, other than the natural father, can adopt the child. The second most common reason for a private individual terminating a father’s rights is to prevent him from visiting the child.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Abandoned Child Defined

Oregon statutes provide that an abandoned child is a child left under circumstances in which the identity of his parent is unknown and cannot be ascertained, despite a diligent search, and the parent has not come forward to claim the child for at least three months. In actions brought by the state, the court will permit a parent accused of abandonment to assert a defense justifying why the abandonment occurred.

Proving Abandonment

A court hearing must be held on the question of termination of parental rights at least 10 days after, and no later than six months after, the filing of a petition by the Department of Human Services to terminate a father’s parental rights. Abandonment must generally be proven by “clear and convincing proof.” In cases where the child is a Native American, the standard of proof is abandonment “beyond a reasonable doubt” and that serious physical or emotional harm to the child may result without such a court order. Testimony from the child may be taken if the court elects to compel it. Such testimony may be taken outside the presence of the child’s parents; however, legal counsel for the parent may not be precluded from witnessing the child’s testimony. The court will make written findings and the court’s order can be the subject of appeal. The court is required to appoint legal counsel for any parent who cannot afford an attorney in a termination of parental rights proceeding.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Terminating Father's Rights in Michigan


Related articles

Legal Guardianship for an Incompetent Parent

A guardian is a party who undertakes legal responsibility and authority for the care of someone else, known as a ward. An adult can become a ward only if he is declared legally incompetent. If your parent is a victim of a disability that prevents him from meeting his basic needs, you may petition a court to appoint a guardian.

Terminating Visitation Due to Incarceration

If your ex-spouse ends up in jail, he can’t have normal visitation with your children, but he doesn’t necessarily lose visitation rights. Whether an incarcerated parent retains visitation rights with his children depends on state laws and the crime he committed. Also, his visitation rights probably won’t change at all unless you or another guardian of the child contests his visitation rights.

California Family Laws on Terminating Child Support

Both parents have a responsibility to provide for the financial needs of their minor children in California. When one parent asks for a child support order, the judge reviews the family's financial information and determines the amount the other parent must pay. The presumed father can terminate his obligation to pay child support by disproving paternity, and either parent can seek a modification based on changed circumstances. If not otherwise terminated, the child support obligation lasts until the child is emancipated.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Legal Guardianship Procedures

Guardianship is a legal relationship between two people: a guardian and a ward. The guardian is granted legal authority ...

Absent Parent Laws in Georgia

An absent parent in Georgia still has legal obligations to his child, such as providing financial support. An absent ...

Naming a Guardian in Kansas

A legal guardian is a party appointed by a court to care for a minor child or an impaired adult, known as the ward. ...

Parental Rights Terminated Due to Child Abandonment

Child abandonment can result in serious legal consequences. For some parents, child abandonment may lead to the ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED